Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef - Ready to Serve.

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Despite my best effort to screw this up, it came out very nice. :S

My dome temperature dropped to just over 200 in the afternoon, and the target meat temperature, according to the recipe, is 215. I had 210, but couldn't get it to 215. I kept giving the fire more air and gaining a little ground on the dome temp. I was too timid to try a big adjustment, so I kept tweaking little adjustments, and by the time I got to dome temp up, the juice had almost (but not quite) cooked out. Should have come off a bit earlier, but it's still very, very good.

round3.jpg

Comments

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Looks great to me. Don't be frightened of Clay Q's recipe (sweetness), i promise it works.

Walt
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Filled with self-pity too :huh: , I have been tracking your progress since its inception, & I must say, smashing results, it looks fantastic. I will be likewise drowning my "I can't believe I am not at the fest" sorrow with a big pile of meat & a brew packed refrigerator; I picked up a 9lb butt yesterday & she is about to go on the egg (about 10pm) for a nice 20ish hour smoke, I will post some pix as I get ramped up, tomorrow will be a happy day :P
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    need horseradish and carrots.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I typically only cook my beef for pulling to 195-200 and let sit in a cooler for an hour or two. Temp will come up another few degrees and it wont be as dried out as 210-215 which in my opinion is too high. looks great though. Good job!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    So how was it? tasty? I did a pulled beef and it was great, reheated the left overs with onions and peppers and cheese for sandwiches and they were good too. Had planned to to ABT with some too but it was all gone by then LOL. Julie
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Very tasty, thanks for asking. I agree with UGAVET that it could have come off at 190ish and been just fine. When it was around 190 and I was putting the thermometer in it (while obsessing about getting it to 215) the thermometer pushed all the way through the roast!
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    what chunk of beef did you use?
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Very nice. With all the things I have cooked on the Egg pulled beef is not one of them. :pinch: Slice beef and pulled pork many times but not beef. Yours looks great!
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    Boneless bottom round roast.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    For your first time it looks mighty good to me. Congrat's on making pulled beef BBQ!
    Next time it will be all down hill, drink in one hand and a fun cook with time to relax between stages. :P ;):)
    Keep up the good work!