Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plank cooking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen alder and cedar planks advertised for use in smoking. Chinook is the brand, although there is probably no difference in using planks cur from Home Depot board.[p]Does anybody have any experience with cooking on planks they would like to share?

Comments

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    PaulH,
    I posted a recipe for planked Potlatch Salmon on the board. Give it a try.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    PaulH,[p]I use cedar planks for salmon on a frequent basis. After having "sticker shock" from the prices of planks on cooking sites, I did just what you mentioned. I picked up an UNTREATED 8" cedar board from Home Depot and cut it into 1 foot sections. [p]Soak the plank in water for an hour before using and smoke your fish on it and directly on the grill. I've even used an "Emeril" suggestion. When the fish is done, place the plank on a hot gas grill for a minute or so to get it smoldering. Makes for a great presentation at the table.[p]When the board was fresh, the taste of cedar in the fish was almost overwhelming. Best if you let the wood age for a few months.[p]K~G[p]
  • KennyG,
    help me please...is that redwood siding or a "1 inch" board? I read untreated, but I assume you're inferring clear wood, not construction grade with knot holes. Width matters I assume so as to protect the salmon from direct flames right? After you use it a while doesn't it get burnt? Should a guy just resurface it from time to time with a surface planner?
    Also what kind of time and temp and flipping? I still have one beautiful Copper River salmon steak in the freezer that I'm drooling over as I have it on the top shelf, in front so I won't forget that $pricey$ piece is still in there. ^oo^~

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]The piece I bought was 8 ft 1" X 8" cedar shelving. It does have knots in it. I buy whole salmon filets from Sam's Club and usually smoke as much as I can fit on the 1 foot sections I cut. The small, thin end of the filet gets trimmed if necessary. The next time I buy a board, I won't cut sections in advance and will customize the length before each cook.[p]There are plenty of great smoked salmon recipes out there. I like to marinade in a robust teriaki sauce such as Angustura and then drizzle with maple syrup and Jack Daniels just before cooking.[p]It generally takes about 60-90 minutes at a dome temp of 225* to get the flesh to flake nicely with a fork. Skin side down if skin present. No need to flip. I use alder and/or sugar maple chips.[p]The plank will definitely get charred, but can be reused at least 3 or 4 times before discarding. Cutting your own from Home Depot, etc makes them really cheap. If you have a planer, you are in good shape.[p]K~G
  • KennyG,
    I use the 1x6 or 1x8 untreated cedar planks for my salmon and steelhead fillets. I don't soak my planks though. I put he skin side down and cook at 325 degrees until the fillet gets to 125 degrees about 15-20 mins. The coals char the bottom ot the cedar plank while it cooks. Nice thing is the skin sticks to the plank so cutting servings is really not a "sliding around" chore. You can also do this in your oven, but you'll have alittle cedar smoke to vent out.