Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone know of lump source with free shipping

chefreyguy12
chefreyguy12 Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking for a lump source with free shipping or cheap shipping. I have a place down the street that caries bge lump for $22. And the hardware store has bbq woods brand cheap but really not good. My walmart in Jersey doesn't carry royal oak , and lowes is 40 minutes away with cowboy. Is it worth the trip for the cowboy , just spend the money on bge, or a website that will save me money. Ive been using 20 pounds a week. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    20 pounds a week? Do you close your vent and damper after each cook? I use our Egg almost every day and get about 3 weeks out of a 20 pound bag.

Have you visited the Naked Whiz site? They have an excellent database on lump brands and mail order sources.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    20 pounds a week?? Are you heating your house with it?

You can re-use it?

Unfortunately the price on everything is going up. Shipping is not as cheap as it used to be. Spend the money on the BGE Lump unless the place down the street is a BBQ Galore..
  • Otobiz
    Otobiz Posts: 82
    or maybe walmart can order you some from another store,I pay in Canada 13.99 for a large bag og Royal oak or 22.00 for BGe.
  • i should have said i use it at home and at work I am a chef so we smoke all our own charcuterie & house cured salmon,
  • Celtic Wolf
    In that case how close are you to Restaurant Depot? As a Chef you can get a membership and the carry the 40 pound Chef RO.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Maybe you should make a deal with the BGE retailer to buy a pallet load, or maybe a half a pallet. Alternative would be to find something else you like and get a pallet load. I pay $4.10 for a 10 pound bag of Best Choice, which comes from the same kilns and packaging plant as BGE.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Da Wal*Mart doesn't work that way. All their inventory is stored in the nearest Distribution Center. If it's not in the store then it's not in the DC. Even if it's in one store they are not allowed to ship to another.

If I remember right Da Wal*marts in NJ are few and far between
  • called restaurant depot they have 700 bags at $9.95 a bag, thanks I already have the membership, but its an hour away, im goin stock up for that price.
  • Camano
    Camano Posts: 134
    With Walmart you can order on line and pick it up a the store of your choice with no shipping charge
  • Celtic Wolf
    Except they don't have charcoal on their website..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    this place sells out of a store in jersey, they also have a distributor in conneticut if thats close enough, i buy a pallet or two at a time and pick it at at a distributor terminal, one in nh and the other in conn. this is a long burning lump so there is savings as you get more cooks per pound
    http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Now I can say I second this one..

I did tell him that in the email :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ozark oak and maple leaf are the only lump i would buy other than the wicked good. i cant get either of those anymore. wg has a light flavor and brings out cleaner flavors from the smoking woods you use, cant really go wrong with the stuff except some dont like the sparking when lighting, its very dense. i would take the trip and get a pallet, it cant be that far for a once a year trip
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    You don't need to convince me.. I sell the stuff remember.. :laugh:

I can live with the sparks to get a 25 hour burn on a load of lump at 250 dome. The sparks only hurt for a really little bit :whistle:
  • you convinced me i just order wicked good thanks for all your info .
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    CW,

If you recall posts last summer, there was a lot of chat about WM and Lump. At that time I was desperate to get RO and our WM's weren't carrying it. Other forum members said their WM stores had plenty of bags.

With all the chat back and forth about WM and lump I decided to call Royal Oak and Walmart corporate.

At first, no response back from WM. I did get a call back from Royal Oak. Later on I did get a call back from corporate Walmart.

Like you I thought all WM products were located in the distribution centers. To my surprise, that is not the case with all WM products. It didn’t seem logical due to the overall size of the WM company.

The WM individual store managers can be approved on a store by store case to be allowed to order RO (or other “specialty items”) as store manager feels needed. The managers are under inventory turn and profitability goals.

RO sales manager for the western area also called me back and gave me some non Walmart resources and also said to look for different private label RO products. Kroger was one of many.

GG
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    If you have a 'Do-It-Best' franchise near you, order American Royal Oak on-line and it will be delivered to their store. No shipping or tax.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Read what I said. All Store inventory is stored at the DC. All deliveries to a store go through the DC.

Yes an individual Store Manager can request a special item, but it will be shipped to the DC once approved by Bentonville.

Those items can not be shipped between stores without Bentonville's approval.

Everything a store does is controlled by Bentonville. Every sale that is made, every shift in inventory, every display on a rack is controlled by Bentonville. Store managers don't order regular inventory because it's done automatically from Bentonville. Even the sales pamphlet merchandise is sent to a DC from Bentonville to be dropped at the store the day before the pamphlet is delivered.

Wal*Mart has the largest Satellite network in the world. When you see a sales associate look up a price with the magic wand that bar code is transmitted to an HP Computer in the back room and that computer sends the bar code via satellite to Bentonville. The price is retrieved and sent back to the stores HP Computer and then to the wand.

Wal*Mart's inventory system allows Bentonville to stock the items that are selling best at your local Wal*Mart at the DC. Even the DC is controlled by this system. Trucks are loaded by an automated system. Boxes of product moved though the DC based on where they need to go. People working in the DC are told to load a box on a conveyor or load boxes coming off a conveyor onto a specific truck or to a specific space on the floor. When the product inventory gets low the system is triggered to deliver more. If the inventory item does not meet the threshold set by Bentonville the product is yanked.

You want your local Wal*Mart to stock more Royal Oak get more people to buy it more often. First you have to convince Bentonville it needs to be stocked in the first place. You also need to convince Bentonville that BBQ season doesn't really end.

Low Prices ALWAYS!!
  • i tried royal oak on do it best they dont have it in stock. its been out for 1 1/2 months, only bbq woods lump on doit best
  • Grandpas Grub
    Interesting and that is the way I thought all products were handled.

As I said above, it shocked me, to learn that for RO anyway, out here the manager orders. RO ships direct to the local store.

Unless the WM person lied to me as well as the RO sales manager lied to me. Out here, the WM manager can order and RO and RO ships directly to that particular store.

I can only share what was actually told to me first hand by RO and WM.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    I got some Do-it-Best, it wasn't RO as shown on the website. The lump was ok but a bit sparky.

GG
  • When a Sales Associate scans an item, it is goes to an IBM register and then to an IBM server, thank you very much. The prices are in the store, not Bentonville. The only time a price lookup would go to Bentonville would be if the item was not found in the store's item lookup file. B)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    HP must have ticked off Bentonville again. HAHAH

Yes I forgot that lovely look-up table..

Did I tell you Bentonville is on my resume? :)
  • HP hasn't had the POS biz at WM in forever. I think they have had ISP duty on and off over the years, but POS has been ours forever. Congratulations on getting out of B'ville!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Celtic Wolf
    In 96 (I guess that is forever) HP was in all but 790 stores. AT&T had the 790.

Back then the Website was hosted on two IBM AIX servers, but were front ended by HP Netservers running Windows.. Go figure..

yes I am glad I got out of Bentonville.. Liked Bentonville, didn't like Wal*Mart
  • Nope, that ain't POS you talkin' 'bout. We have had that forever-er than 1996. We've had the POS stuff since the mid 80's.
    The Naked Whiz
  • This may not help but I got a couple of local eggers together and we ordered some Wicked Good Lump from Laralee Distributors LLC in Newfield Maine. If you have a business they can ship to they will ship you a full pallet (60 bags). We split the pallet 3 ways but once some other people found out what we were doing, they wanted some so we took some off the top and split the rest. Ended up about $15/bag after shipping. Well worth it to me because I have an inventory in a dry place and when I run out, I grab another bag. No more scrambling to see if Kroger or sLowes has Lump in stock. Plus if someone does run out, we can just call another egger and see if they have any left. When we get down to slim pickins' we'll order another pallet.

BTW, Wicked Good burns really well. Holds temps really well and doesn't have as much ash as some of the others.
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    I promised Smiths I would buy it if they kept their Kroger brand stocked. And I buy several bags everytime I go there.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    We did a pallet of wicked good this summer and spit it 3 ways too. We are very pleased with it and will do it again we are get low. BBQ season is over big time to most places here in Maine so we have to plan ahead :)