Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Venison Shoulder Roast

Options
NU2BBQ
NU2BBQ Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's time to contribute to this forum. I've learned a lot from you and finally have something of a different nature that I thought might be of interest. I did a 3# Venison Shoulder Roast yesterday and it came out pretty good. As with all game the more fat removed the less gamey it taste. I started with a several recipes I found all over the internet and came up with this version.
Smoked Venison Shoulder
Because of the gamey flavor of this meat I am using Sweet Maple for my smoking wood. This one weighs 3 lbs.
Recipe
Venison Shoulder, Bone-In
Dry Rub
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Paprika, Smoked Sweet Spanish
1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar, Light
1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt, Kosher
1 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Celery Salt

Mix dry rub ingredients and apply to meat. Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Set-up smoker for indirect smoking.
Smoke for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per pound @ 220 - 250 dome temp till internal temp reaches 160 degrees.
Use a drip pan with water and beer to maintain moisture.

DSCN0537.jpg

DSCN0543.jpg

DSCN0549.jpg

Enjoy

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Hey that looks pretty good. Was it very dry? I've done it only one time and it turned out too dry. I've yet to try it again but I would like to.
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    It was not dry at all. In fact I was surprised at how moist it came out. I read some post that stated to cook to 180' but I felt that would have made it dry. I was concerned with dryness that's why I filled my drip pan with a can of beer and water and cooked a a low temp. I'll do this again.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Bob,
    That looks really good. Thank You for the recipe.
    Ross
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    My pleasure. I just finished the leftovers and they were just as good as yesterdays dinner. I was afraid microwaving would dry it out but that was not the case.
  • Scalawag
    Options
    That looks great!

I've got a similar sized caribou roast in the freezer. Now I know how to cook it.

Thanks!

Bill
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    Good luck with that and hope it turns out well.
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention was my drip pan was sitting above the plate setter on two steel corner braces laying on their sides. This kept the liquid from boiling away.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Bob,
    Did you put any liquid in the drip pan?
    Ross
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    Ya I used a 12oz. can of beer and about the same amount of water. I didn't want to waste another beer. There was still liquid left in the pan when the cook was done.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I'm definitly doing that with the first deer of the season. Thanks for the info.
  • NU2BBQ
    Options
    Please let us know how it comes out and good luck with it as well as the hunt.
  • Stoneyrok
    Stoneyrok Posts: 1
    Options
    I put one on last night at 9:45pm. Set the guru to 225. placed a drip pan with about 1/2 qt of white grape juice, and 1/2 qt of water. This morning, there was still a little in the bottom of the drip pan, and some fat that rendered off. The drip pan is on the plate setter, so it was not blackened which I thought it would be. I wrapped the shoulder in foil just now. The internal temp is 160 right now (12 hours and 9 lbs shoulder). Honestly, I cranked the guru to 245, and I am looking to get 170 internally, maybe 180. I know the collagen will certainly be broken down and meat soften well at 170-180 like other cuts I have done. To me, that seems to be the magic temp on large cuts, just be sure to pay attention to moisture. 180 inside, and rest for a hour or more is key I believe.... I've had the egg and guru going on 2.5 years now and have certainly done my share of testing over the years.