Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Small Egg Questions...

AZGator
AZGator Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm considering getting a small (maybe a medium) to take camping with a popup trailer. My questions are:[p]How does one cook a brisket on it? Do you stand 2 (maybe) 3 flats up on their side?[p]I was going to weld a cage on the front of the trailer to carry the egg. Does this seem OK? Will the bumps in the road cause enough impact to damage the egg (or maybe crack the internal fire ring)?[p]How long can the small go on a long cook? Can I get 8 hours?[p]Thanks,[p]Paul

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    105-0530_IMG.JPG
    <p />AZGator,[p]I've had my small since September and we love it for camping (but we do the tent thing)....[p]I haven't done a brisket on it so can't comment on that, but have done a butt for pulled pork and it went 12.5 hrs with no problems at all. The pic you see was taken about 2 hrs into the cook as the sun began to rise on the last day of our camping trip. Cherry wood smells filled the air....[p]Life is good,
    QBabe
    :~)[p]

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    AZGator,
    Don't know how bumpy are the roads you'll be travelling, but I'd recommend a couple of inches of styrofoam all around the Egg, and between the firebox and Egg body too. See if you can get the shipping pads from a local distributor.
    Better safe than sorry...
    Ken

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    AZGator,[p]I know that with a fully loaded firebox (to top of the fire ring), you can get at least 12 hours of low and slow out of the small.[p]I've done a small, 4.5 lb., brisket by itself lying flat on an adjustable V-Rack. If the briskets were flexible enough, I'll bet you can roll a couple up and secure with skewers much like some folks do with ribs to cook on edge.[p]I've had no problems transporting mine by eliminating any ceramic to ceramic contact--stuffing old newspaper between the components (firebox and bottom of the lower body, sides of lower body and firebox, top of firebox and fire ring, etc.[p]K~G[p]

• AZGator,
    I have a small that has 16K miles on it. It is stored in the most aft storage compartment of a 34' motorhome. No problems at all I did baby it at first, isolating all the pieces, now I set it in there with the original carboard packaging wrap around it. Not even a cracked firebox. I find that it needs taken apart more often and cleaned because the bumps seem to compact the ash more. I've lurked here for almost two years, this is my first post I'd like to thank everyone for all the info and ideas I have gleamed from this site. Happy Holiays

• PETAman,
    Visit us in first person more often, we like hearing from you. Thanks for your comments