Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Five Spice Ribs

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to try a little experiment tonight, and idea I've had for a while. I got a couple of small slabs of spare ribs and trimmed them and removed the membranes. I rubbed them with sesame oil. Then I sprinkled them with just enough Chinese five spice powder to coat them thoroughly and rubbed that in. Did the same with garlic powder and cayenne pepper. They're in my fridge now, in a ziploc bag. When I get home tonight I'm going to grill them direct for 4-5 hours. I think I'll make a finishing sauce with hoisin, soy, dry sherry and garlic to brush on for the last half hour or so. I've heard that five spice powder can be overwhelming, but I think it will make a nice Asian style rub (especially with the sesame oil and the other spices). [p]I'll let everyone know how it turns out.[p]Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BluesnBBQ,
    Curious how that comes out. I think the long cook will mellow many of the pungent spices in 5-spice (like the anise and the fennel seeds...and come to think of it the cloves, cinnamon and fagara...I guess they are all strong spices in there!)....but no question some serious flavor should be left behind! Should be interesting.[p]Your sauce sounds perfect.[p]Enjoy your cook! Friday is the perfect night for ribs. Especially with this cold dreary weather in on us.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    BluesnBBQ,
    you said "I sprinkled them with just enough Chinese five spice powder to coat them thoroughly and rubbed that in" Youwser!!!! You might be flying backwards with a purdy blue flame coming out your mouth. It doesn't take much 5 spice to set the world on fire for me, and "to coat" them??? Good luck - hey, who knows there might be enough fire power that the ribs will already be cooked! LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]I had two pepper encrusted burgers with some good ol' fashioned American cheese. I'm now washing those down with some good ol' fashioned cheap American beers![p]Happy weekend,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Oh, yeah. Throw in some Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and I ain't gettin' off the couch for at least another hour...[p]Ho, ho, ho,
    Cornfed

• Nature Boy,
    Amen on the weather Chris. Seems like we haven't seen the sun in ages here in Atlanta. Fortunately the Egg doesn't really care, and works in rain or shine.
    Budweisers,
    Dave

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Cornfed,[p]Rudolph is my very favorite! Thanks for the notice....I'd have missed it if you hadn't mentioned it![p]Waiting for my pulled pork to finish...and watching Rudolph. My hubby just got home early from a business trip and surprised me. Life is VERY good![p]QBabe
    :~)

• Nature Boy
    Cornfed,
    Burl Ives RULES!!
    ho ho ho, and a gulp gulp gulp right back toya!
    Don't let that nasty abominable snowdude give you nightmares![p]Burger sound great. No Qing here tonight, but I have a frenchified rack of lamb rib roast to cook tomorrow. First one yet. Gonna be good.[p]Saranac Black and Tans onya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Dave?
    Dave?
    Dave's Not Here,[p]Seems like one east coast storm after another. One moves through and the next one lines up behind it! Drought? What drought?[p]I agree witchya! No rain or cold gonna stop the charcoal from a smokin around here![p]Buds back to you! Stay dry.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Nature Boy:[p]Hopefully you have a couple of racks or a BIG lamb! Marinate it in some olive oil, lemon, oregano, crushed garlic, salt and pepper or a Dizzy product refrigerated over night. Grill it at 375º or so for nothing more than a nice pink interior. Slice into chops and serve. Just a suggestion for the next one . . . Sounds like something I need to pull out of the freezer myself!
    [/b]
  • Nature Boy
    djm5x9,
    I just picked up one chunk at Costco. We'll be cookin some other stuff too. When I was competing at New Holland this year, I got an opportunity to try some of the lamb rib chops that Qsis cooked up, and it was incredible. Maybe that is why she took first place in that "anything but" category! Anyways, she gave me some pointers, and one of her big tips (as you mention) is that the worst thing you can do is overcook it. I'll be aiming pink! maybe 130 internal??[p]Appreciate the tips, Darryl. I have a relatively light marinade I want to try on 'em (and daggonit if all the ingredients you mentioned are in there!)...with maybe a dusting of dust for crusting purposes.[p]Yeeehoo! Best to you and the whole fam-damily.
    chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Cornfed
    QBabe,[p]No problem. Great show! Frosty is on tonight. I think the original one, plus some new age Frosty with which I'm not sure I'm too comfortable...[p]Another lesser known favorite of mine is Emmet Otter and the Jug Band Christmas. My brothers and I used to watch that each year on HBO when we were kids. They released it on VHS a few years ago and I've been able to watch it each year since. Now that I'm typing this, I wonder if it's available on DVD...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Nature Boy,[p]I bet that abominable snowmonster thing could put back a bunch of ribs. And that Yukon Cornelius chap probably ain't no slouch when it comes to the dinner table, either...[p]Later,
    Cornfed