Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP! - To Sear or not to Sear

Kip
Kip Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Making 4 pound drunk and dirty tenderloin tomorrow. First time I made it, I seared it and it was awesome. Do I need to sear this time for the same result?[p]Also; With an inverted place setter, do I still need to use a V-Rack??[p]Thanks as always for your sage advice.[p]Kip

Comments

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Kip, if you mean the following: inverted Plate Setter, drip pan, grill(on the Plate Setter legs), and then your tenderloin on the grill-- then you would not need the V-rack.[p]You could also use the Plate Setter, drip pan and then V-rack with the tenderloin. This way you do not use the grill.

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    CR,
    Which do you recommend? Don't want to mess this one up. Serious carnivors coming over!

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Kip,
    Just a thought, if your first one was awesome, why change anything??? Especially if you're having company. I probably would not try a new cook if guest were invited. (That being said, I not a very good cook) Ö
    New Bob

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Kip, I have always like searing first; just my preference. Since you have done it that way before and had good results you should do the same. Experiment some other time without guests to worry about.[p]Either set-up, using the Plate Setter, will give you an indirect cook. It doesnt matter if you use the grill or the V-rack. I use my V-rack a lot just because it is easy to carry the meat in the V-rack with the drip pan into the house. The V-rack is also easy to clean. Also, using throw away aluminum drip pans is easy clean-up; there are some that are a perfect fit for the V-rack. [p]Have a good one, CR

• Kip,[p]I have done at least a dozen Drunk and Dirty tenderloins. Always seared for 2min. per side and cook @ 400 until 130 internal for nice med. rare. You won't need plate setter. Be sure to let it rest at least 10 min. before carving![p]Good Luck.
  • Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Kip, I new to this, thinking of doing a tenderloin, are you guys searing in the egg or stove top? Also if in egg at what temp? I assume indirect cooking afterward, I can use my pizza stone, drip pan with v-rack, right? Thanks