Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Hot Does The Outside Of An BGE Get?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question for you BGE guys. One of the advantages I perceive about the ceramic cookers such as the BGE is the insulating effect and it's safety around small children. This small child safety issue is a big concern of a friend of mine who is looking for a smoker and wants me to recommend one.[p]Can you guys tell me if the outside of a BGE is not hot enough to burn you when you touch it when you’re cooking at, say, 250 degrees?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Gary B. Davis,[p]The outside of the cooker does get hot, but not hot enough to burn instantaneously. You can't leave your hand on it for an extended period, but you can touch it and not get burnt. Just enough warning time for little hands to say "hey, that's hot!" and remove them. :-)[p]Jim
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Gary B. Davis,
    Obviously, the hotter the internal temp, the hotter the outside is going to be. That being said, you won't want to put your hand on the outside and leave it there but if you touch the outside, it won't burn your hand like a metal smoker but it will be hot. Make sense? Hope that helps.
    You might try to find a local dealer; a lot of times, the demo cook on the weekends and you could see/feel for yourself.

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Gary B. Davis,
    JSlot is correct. Also the dome is usually a little cooler than the bottom. At dome temps of 300 you can rest your hand on the dome for a second or two; the further you go down the hotter the egg is. It can be very hot in the area of the firebox but not nearly as hot as anywhere on a metal grill.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gary B. Davis,
    Great points below. At 250 the cooker is not too hot to the touch...especially in cooler weather. Yet it IS a cooker, and my kids know to stay away from it. Kids are pretty good about that. "Hot. Don't touch." "Danger". And doing your part providing a watchful eye will provide a safe environment.[p]HTH!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ