Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What\'s you fav Mexican recipe?

DonDon
DonDon Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love my fajita's. Marinate Flank steak over night in Olive oil, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, crushed Garlic, salt, pepper and paprika, then the next morning, I throw in my cut up bell peppers and onions. When it's time to cook her up. Crank up my Egg as hot as I can get her, ATLEAST 700 degrees and then MAYBE 2 minutes a side

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Have two favourites. Mole Oaxaqueño and Cochinita Pibil.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Would you believe the food network actually has recipes for both of those??
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is one I have been doing for years, however I like all Mexican dishes--Especially the ones cooked by Beli and shown on the forum to tease!

Chili, Pork, Green

INGREDIENTS:
    5 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    2-3 Lbs. Onions, Quartered, Sliced 1/4 inch Thick
    6 11 Ozs. Tomatillos, Tomatoes, Canned, Remove Husks & Stem, Save Liquid
    3 7 Ozs. Taco Sauce, Green, Mild
    2-3 3 1/2 Ozs. Green Chilis, Diced
    1 Good Beer, Coors, Corona, not dark or light
    2 Pints Chicken Broth
    2-3 Pints Salsa Fresca
    4 Tbs. Red Tomato Paste`
    2-3 Whole Jalapeños, Seeds & Veins Removed, Finely Diced, You decide How Hot!
    3 Tbs. Red Pepper, Crushed
    6 Tbs Green Chili Powder,
    2-3 Tbs. Sugar
    2 Tbs. Cumin
    Salt/Pepper to taste

Preparation
    1 Cut the pork into 1 inch pieces, Saute in a Dutch oven to render grease and partially cook. Drain. Cook Onions in a little olive oil until start to wilt. Add pork back into pot and then the rest of the ingredients.
    2 Bring to boil and then simmer. Place lid on pot and cook 1-1 1/2 hours. Remove lid toward end and reduce if too much liquid. Add beer or chicken broth if to thick.
    3 Serve with fresh hot tortillas and/or rice.
    4 Works well with leftover turkey or chicken also. Freezes very well!
    5 This can also be done on the BGE, 9 QT Dutch Oven, Indirect, Plate Setter leg up, something to lift the DO off the plate setter 1/2 inch or so, 350F, no top on DO, light smoke couple of hours. Keep an eye on it so it does not dry out.

Yield: 2

Recipe Type
    Dutch Oven, Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe, '75

Source: Richard Howe, 1975/05/25
  • Very HOT tamales wraped in corh shucks. No can get in South Carolina. They are soooo tastey. Miles out.
  • Beli
    Yes...and very accurate I understand. You google the recipe nowadays and come up with countless alternatives, as you know.
  • Beli
    Hey Richard,
    Gosh.....what a compromise......truth is, I´m learning from all of you, stars on the forum. ;)
    The recipe for the cortadillo looks great, already saved in favourites. See you soon.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Puerco Pibil

It's a spicy Mexican version of pulled pork.

Here's my recipe:

http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/jeff/puercopibil.pdf

I also like to dry rub a flank steak with a Southwest spice mix for several hours, slice it thin, cover the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil, saute the meat until brown, then liberally apply chipotle powder and chili powder. Put the lid on the DO for a few minutes to let the spices, OO and beef juice do a little magic. Then open up the Egg and the DO and stir constantly while the juice reduces. When the liquid is mostly gone, the meat will start developing a spicy, crispy crust. Serve with warm flour tortillas and fresh made pico de gallo. We call it Carne Asada. Don't know if it is exactly what others call Carne Asada, but we love it.
  • DonDon
    Cochinita Pibil with? I've got bananna's in my back yard so thats covered but what ya serve the pork with? Maybe as soft Taco's? With fresh Fried ships? We've got a big party this weekend and it's a mexican theme. I always blow people away but it's usually with briskett, pulled pork or some stuffed chicken thighs LOL
  • Celtic Wolf
    Food Network says Pickled Shallots.. But I'll will defer to our resident Mexican
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    I don't know if you would consider it actually Mexican food but we love fish tacos. People turn their noses up when you mention it but after they have one they are hooked....

Fish (coat fish fillet with Louisiana Fish Fry and DP spice of your choice - we used Ragin River and grill)

Corn tortilla (warmed)
    Litehouse Jalapeno Ranch Dressing (spread on tortilla)
    Add fish
    Shredded red cabbage
    Cilantro

Roll up and enjoy...
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    ive only been to mexico once and was surprised to see so much fish offered, was in cabo san lucas. it was all great, never ate so much shrimp. heres a fish veracruzana served up in newengland fashion with pollock and cheese on a heel. i think this was origionally Beli's recipe, really good.
    DSC_0250.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,660
    dont know how mexican these are, but if your looking for appetizers its hard to beat these, i also serv them as a side
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/228712.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beli
    To serve, shread the meat roughly. Pour the fat and juices from the pan over it. Serve hot, with tortillas and the sauce in a separate dish so that each person can make his own tacos.

The best use for your bananas is, once you smear the paste all over the pork, lightly sear the banana leaves over a bare flame to make them more flexible. Wrap the meat up in them and leave to season in the fridge for at least 6 hrs. or overnight.

I would offer on the side, some beans refried in pork lard or with chorizo.

BUEN PROVECHO

...........Sorry must go now.
  • Lite Margarita.

3 parts cheap tequila
    1 Glass (optional)
    drink quickly

Spring "ReciPee For Success" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beli
    For the sauce you can use:
    1/2 cup of very finely chopped purple onion
    3 habanero chiles very finely chopped (adjust to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup seville orange juice
  • Celtic Wolf
    Just as soon as I find the achiote paste this will be on my list of things to do..

Gonna kick up those Americanized Tacos a notch or six :lol:
  • DonDon
    Thanks Beli, I'll get a bhutte Joloki (sp.) outta my garden and use it in place of the Habs. I of those will work for sure LOL Think I'll od this one and also some shrimp ceviche, do fresh chips I make at home to serve with it. I truly lve going to Mexico, been to Cancun 5 times and just got back from Beleze on a Mission trip. THAT was so kewl walking through the jungles of Beleze and then riding up to Orange walk in Northern Beleze
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    As always, very nice idea...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Celtic Wolf
    You should try diving in Belize.. 2nd largest Barrier Reef in the world. Home of the Big Blue Hole. Turneffe and Half Moon Caye have some of the most spectacular wall dives found anywhere.. Half Moon Caye is a wildlife Sanctuary.

That is one place I will be going back too..
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    2bb49a9e.jpg

This is a tough one.....We cook a variety of Mexican dishes. I guess I couldn't do without Mrs ~t~'s green chili as it is a stand alone dish, and we use it as a sauce in many others. Next would be tamales, I've eaten homemade ones all my life and just love them. On the seafood side, fish tacos and Camarones al Mojo de Ajo (Shrimp marinated in Garlic) are right up there too.

09cf3469.jpg

DSC05858JPGa.jpg

DSC02327a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Do you have something to do with Tormek, I recognized the sharptools link. -RP
  • jeffinsgf
    Yes, I do. I am the Sales Manager for the United States.
  • AZRP
    Is that you in the videos of how to use it? -RP
  • jeffinsgf
    Guilty. :woohoo:
  • AZRP
    My brother in law bought his unit from you at a woodworking show probably 5 years ago, I got mine from Woodcraft. Nice product, it was my only defense against what my wife and kids do to my knives. -RP
  • DonDon
    the last night and were about a 1/4 mile from the reef. You talk about beautiful, AWWW MAN, I was tying to figure out how much I could liquidate to move there. I actually went fishing while there. Paid 200 bucks for 5 hours in a 10 foot long little boat with a 15 HP motor on it. LOL Had some huge barracuda get on the line but only got a couple in. What I loved about it was the 5 dollar lobsters LOL they had just catch the spiny one's and when they cooked them, after they split the tails, they basted them in Lime juice, Fresh Thyme, garlic and butter. Best Lobster I ever ate.
  • jeffinsgf
    Glad you like it. How about a little market research? Did you buy it strictly for culinary knives, or are you a woodworker, too? I ask because we are looking at becoming more active in the cooking market.
  • AZRP
    I dabble in a little furniture making, but I bought it mainly for my knives. I didn't even consider that you guys don't market to the culinary trade. The most important and cherished tool for a cook is their knives. -RP