Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your favorite Santoku knife...

Bootleg
Bootleg Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And explain it's pros and cons! Thanks!

Bootleg

Comments

• These are custom made and work well but I leave them in the Coop and use my Global in the kitchen most of the time.

But they would be my favorites, if nothing more than they are unique and do well.

Customknives.jpg

Spring "Butter-Cut'n Sharp' Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Don't have one yet, but I've been looking at the Rachel Ray ones by Furi. Seem to be reasonably priced. Anyone have one of these?
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Hey! I have two-a them thar thangs!

Was it you who directed us to eBay about a year ago?

If so -- Thanks --

~ Broc

:) :laugh: :)
  • Pdub
    Pdub Posts: 234
    I've got one from Mac and I really like it. It was reasonably priced and I am able to sharpen it well. The thin blade works well for some tasks. I bought it for my wife but I end up using it a lot.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Hattori off of Ebay for about $90. The blade is unbelievable sharp and stays that way. At first I was concerned as the blade is thin but it is such good steal no worries and just passes threw food. Only draw back is to keep the stock edge on it I use a waterstone. As long as you stay up on it no problem but the v10 steal is not something you want to get dull on you.
    1stsjune141.jpg
  • I think Dr. BBQ bid on one too. I'm sure he got it but I haven't heard him brag about it.

Here's all three of mine hanging in the Coop.

CoopKnives7-5-08.jpg

Handy this way.

Spring "Good Knives Is A Good Thing" Chicken
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    fatties-sliced1.jpg

This is my every day Santoku and its a Chicago Cutlery. My catering and competition ones are Forschner.

Why?/ Because I like them.
  • you are alive...

japaneseknives001.jpg

shun wasabi called a deba 210 mm hard to sharpen knicks easily , purchased on sale from amazon, sharp when it is sharp but i would not buy another.

japaneseknives003.jpg

wustoff, ok but does not get as sharp as the whustoff chefs knives with the steel. ok but not special

japaneseknives006.jpg

shun, real sharp, stays sharp but very brittle. put this in the knife drawer and you will be sorry.. whustoff and shun were gifts.. shun is my favorite,,, this knife does not come out of the box if i have had an adult beverage,, yes really.. will remove the tip of your finger before you know it..

japaneseknives004.jpg

sharpening these is a whole nother discussion
    bill
  • I also have the Mac. Started with the small one for my wife and ended up using it so much she bought me the larger size.
    I used to use a big German chef’s knife for everything but now use the Mac for everything but the heavy work (through bones).
    These knives come sharp stay sharp.
    When you do finally sharpen them the burr is like foil.
    If you want to spend money try this site. http://www.epicureanedge.com/
    I’m so happy with the Mac I’m not looking for anything else.
    TTFN WLL
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i believe santokus are a fad, and that if the house were on fire and you could only grab one knife, it'd be a well-balanced 8 inch chef's knife.

funny about the Susan Sontag comment. you'd need to read all of her stuff to come to that conclusion. either that, or accept someone else's conclusion without forming your own. a catch -22. if you are a male, and read all her stuff (i.e. coming to that conclusion on your own), i don't know what to think. :whistle:

but if you accepted someone else's conclusion as your own, that'd be even worse. :unsure:

to that end, you shouldn't accept out conclusions about santokus, either.

i'm merely betting you'll agree with me after doing what i did. which was try it, and decide my chef's knife was better balanced, more substantial, and that there wasn't any decided advantage.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    My 8" santoku is a Henckels Pro S...good overall utility knife, but I agree with stike - chef's knives are the best. I have 2 shun chef's knives (6" and 10")and I wouldn't trade anything for them. The santoku was a gift and I probably wouldn't have bought one myself. My wife prefers it to the others, but I don't.

The Henckels holds an edge a long time, but won't take nearly the same edge that the Shun does. I have a Henckels boning knife that takes a great edge, but the santoku just won't. Don't get me wrong - it gets sharp - but it don't get real sharp.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Oh my goodness. I agree with Stike :ohmy: I have the wustoff set and I use my chefs knife the most and hardly the santoku at all. thought I was weird cause i didn't "get IT" Julie
  • stike
    they are nice, but just a little too thin and effete.

i know all about the graton thing-a-ma-bobs. might be good on a long 10 inch carving knife. but the balance is just way off on my santoku. look at some of those pics. some of them look like knives that are just trying way too hard to be knives.
  • here is the ultimate knife , made by bob kramer. kramerknives.com 3 year wait to get your custom knive. I am a chef, and use it everyday , its worth the $550. he gets for it!
  • stike
    oh man. another example of you agreeing with me. i'm sorry, man!

i guess the real problem i have, which i didn't mention, is that it has an odd break in the curve of the blade. a chef's knife "rolls" smoothly when you chop. a continuos round profile to the blade. but my santoku feels like i'm using a paper cutter. it has two slight curves in the profile which meet at an angle. front curve starts to roll, but then it clunks flat, the whole rest of the blade hitting at once. clonk clonk

it doesn't roll along the blade edge smoothly so much as it simply feels like i'm clonk-chopping.

...which means i'm probably using it wrong. but what can i say
  • Fidel
    My santoku actually has a good roll to it, but the angle and balance on the chef's knives is just better. Feels more like and extension of the hand than as if you actually have to make it work.

We'll disagree soon on something substantial. Save your popcorn and ammunition...it will be festive.
  • stike
    mcain-palin, i bet.

hahahaha
  • LeviF
    LeviF Posts: 1
    I don't know if you know it, but Shuns are guaranteed for life and that includes sharpening. If they get dull, ship them back to Shun for warranty repair and they will return them free of charge with the factory edge restored. I have sent my knives and gotten them back within a week with that "scary sharp" edge they had new. Love my Shuns, but yeah, watch your fingers. These knives have cost me a fair amount of blood.
  • i did not know that. thank you ,, mine is fine but the person who gave it to me bought one for himself and chipped the edge,, i sent it out for repair but was unhappy with the result ,,, i will send both out ,, thanks again
    bill
  • Fidel
    Here is a visual with the cell phone camera - feeling lazy tonight.

IMG00186.jpg
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Being that Little Chef makes her living with knives, I can speak with a little bit of knowledge. Also having been raised in Japan until I was 12 I may have a littl insite. We have a few Shuns, but for the value try going to the source.....
    Japanese Chefs Knife.Com is the direct internet sales division of The Kencrest Corporation. They provide you with wide ranges of the top quality brands traditional Japanese Chef's knives directly from Japan at less than Japanese retail prices.

Kencrest has been in knife export business for over 35 years in Seki-City the Japanese knife capital, where the fine knives are being produced with 800 years of the Samurai swordmaking tradition and history.
    Check them out.. http://www.japanesechefsknife.com

Hundreds less than Shun.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    What kind of cutting board do you with something like that??
  • Fidel
    End grain walnut and cherry

CuttingBoard.jpg
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Have one being custom made from the same place as bill. Walnut base with black cherry axcents all end grain. Should have it anytime! :woohoo:
    This is the pattern being made I sent.
    BB.jpg
  • Griller
    Griller Posts: 88
    Wow! Those are really nice. Thanks for sending the link - Christmas s around the corner. :laugh:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,661
    my favorite knife is a bunmei oroshi, stays sharp (really sharp)a long time but sharpening is a nightmare if your not into sharpening a knife for hours on end. i figure it takes a good twelve pack just to rehone it, and my hollowed out wetstone can prove that. my most used is a global deba, i like the single edged knives but some dont, slices thinner than any knife ive ever owned or used and doesnt rely on weight and heft for cutting, i HATE the handle on this knife, it builds a callous on my hand that will probably never go away. i have an old chefs knife that i also use at times, but the deba i like better. the oroshi is a slicing kife, no pressure needed to cut, you just let the weight cut the meat as you drag it across it. the deba is a work knife and cuts quickly and easily. dont know what the santoku knife would do that i couldnt do with one of the others, i would get a deba, just make sure the handle fits right as its hard to know that ordering online
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it