Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg Table Question

Suwanee JSuwanee J Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just finished a table for my Large BGE this afternoon. I have a question that I'd like some opinions on regarding what to set the egg on once I put it in the table.

I've read differing suggestions to use fire bricks or concrete pavers (one large paver or several smaller pavers spaced apart to allow for air flow).

Does anyone who has a table have any opinions? I just want to avoid scorching the wood and was wondering if a simple solid paver and the ceramic feet would be enough....

Any suggestions are appreciated....
·

Comments

• Yea as long as you use the feet on top of your paver should be great
    ·
  • ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,310
    I use pavers tightly placed together with the feet on top for air flow, great combination:

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1840-1.jpg
    ·
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    One large concrete stepping stone+the little green feet will work just fine ;) I've used the stepping stone for years without the feet,but it's not recommended :whistle:

NewEgg002.jpg
    ·
    did you saw any useful body parts off yet?
    ·
    Not yet man,but I have'nt got the lumber delivered yet :lol: I do have the footings poured,but it's hard to lose body parts mixing concrete :laugh:
    ·
    Hey Zippy,I just got your Email and while that is true,we're talkin body parts,not bodys :lol: :)
    ·
    true, true :lol:
    ·
  • Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Hey Zips...Are the feet under your grill the same size as the ones you use on top of a plate setter? Fred's delivered my egg and set it up and they set it right on top of the paver blocks without using any feet. They handed me 3 feet to use on top of the plate setter. How many feet came with your egg or did you buy extras?

BC
    ·
    It comes with 3 feet, & I have always used them under the egg for the air flow - I was fortunate to get a second set courtesy Beanie-Bean for my setter/pizza stone set-up. I have seen many pictures of eggs directly on the pavers w/o problems, see Doug's below, but when I did this I remember reading a post about an exploding piece of stone (I think it was slate, obviously different than a concrete paver & probably should not be used) so I just always used them under to be safe
    ·
    It is a good idea to use the feet.I've got 9 of them floating around,and will try to find them for use in the new smokehouse :)
    ·
  • Boss HoggBoss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Looks like a trip to Fred's this week to get some extra feet, some bags of lump, and a 14" pizza stone to use with the Spider and Adjustable Grill Rack I ordered from tha Ceramic Grill Store. A 5 minute drive from my office. If Fred's there he's always good for a few laughs. Thanks for your help.

Brian
    ·
  • Cool...thanks. I was planning to just use pavers...very economical from HD. Thanks for submitting the pics too so I could see.
    ·
  • Doug - wow....quite the setup. Very nice.
    ·
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,665
    Use the feet for sure. Didn't think I had a problem but after 6 years this is what it looked like under the paver.

101_2117.jpg

101_2118.jpg
    ·