Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Med or Large Egg?

Options
Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting a BGE for christmas!!! But, I don't know which size to buy. I figure rather a medium or large. I estimate 60% of my cooking on the egg will be for 5 people, 30% for just 2, and 10% for 6 plus. I already know you guys are gonna tell me to buy 2 BGE but I can only get one. Thanks for your help

Comments

• bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Jeff J,
    With the number of people you have mentioned, definitely get a large. For the added cost, you get the maximum green egg cooking space you can buy. You may be able to get by with a med., but you eventually will want a large.

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Jeff J,
    From your logistics I see no contest, by all means go with the large BGE. I rarely cook for no more than four and find my medium is cramped, I made the mistake of not seeking help in determining which size to go with. Hope this helps...NDE

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Jeff J,
    Welcome to the world of egging! I cook for a family of 5, and I would definately reccomend the large. It is always better to have the extra room. Somethings, like two large spatchcocked chickens, are a tight fit on even the large. You can always add a small at a later date to do the side dishes on, or for cooking for just the two people.[p]~nikki

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]I agree with all the great initial advice from the family. IMHO the large Egg is the only one to consider as your first. I also predict there will be additional Eggs in your future.[p]Whatever your selection, enjoy. Welcome to the world of ceramic cooking and your forum family![p]K~G[p]
  • FrankG
    FrankG Posts: 32
    Options
    Jeff J,defintely purchase the large. i started with a medium but now have purchased a large. The med is just too small for entertaing large groups.

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]Based on the # of family members - go large. My first BGE was a large. I wanted a medium for the 2nd BGE - when I do "multi-tasking" cooks. The local source (BBQ's Galore) stopped carrying anything but the large, so I now have twins. I'm glad I got the second one in the large style.[p]Happy Egg'n,[p]LVM

• Animal Eater
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]I bought the medium. My local dealer previously carried the medium AND the large but then decided to stop selling the medium. As such, their remaining stock of mediums went on sale for half the price of the large. I love my medium BGE more than any other cooking device or implement. I don't feel limited at all. When I cook for large groups, I just cook roasts. If I don’t want to do a roast (and/or if I simply feel like I need more grill space) I fire up another grill. With that said, I would have purchased the large if the medium hadn't been on sale.[p]
  • CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    Jeff J, for the number of people you will normally be cooking for I would recommend a large or a large or possibly a large!!!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    ribsplus.jpg
    <p />Jeff J,[p]Definately go for the large and start saving for another. I almost got a medium for my third but thought better of it and got a 2nd large. I would do the same again. When doing pizza, quesadillas, jerky or a big pulled pork cook(i once fed 70 and had leftovers) the 2nd large comes in handy. Good luck and welcome to the crowd.[p]Chuck <><

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    Jeff J,
    An Egg under the tree on Christmas morning. Sounds like you are going to have a very merry Christmas! Get the large. What are you planning for your first cook?

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Animal Eater,[p]I got the medium for the same reason, the dealer was not going to sell eggs anymore, and was selling off their inventory, and I got a really good deal on the last egg they had. I have cooked for a lot of poeple, but it's usually roasts, like you said. I have gotten a lot of use out of this baby...but had it not been for the price I got it for, I would have gotten the large instead. Either way, you can't go wrong....[p]I'm reposting a past post of mine...cause it's related to me love for my egg....please forgive me ..LOL[p]
    Oooh..I love my green egg..sometimes late at night, I'll creep out there on my screened in porch, and gently...quietly..sit on it..in
    the hopes of hatching a mini egg. It hasn't happened yet...but a man can dream. My only words of advice are...[p]a) not to let your wife see this happening, I still get the weirdest looks from her..even after some lengthy explanations[p]b) never...ever...do this while the egg is still warm. I assume you've heard of Mickey T's famous smoke rings...well..let's just say, I
    got my own smoke ring..but that's a painful memory my friend..and it's better left alone.....why ...all the therapy alone was
    enough..but I still get these flashbacks of that most painful mid-summers eve..and I'm sure my picture still hangs on the wall of
    shame down at the local hospital...eeehh...gads what a cruel world..[p]Momma Momma..is that you...Stumpy wanna come home now...[p]

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Jeff J,[p]Large! Then when you master that you'll be convinced you need a Medium for when there are only 3 people eating, small for 2 and a mini when you are cooking for just yourself!

• Kip
    Kip Posts: 87
    Options
    If necessary, don't pay the electric bill and buy the large!
  • Jeff J,[p]Go big, or stay at home. I started with a large and later added a small. The large will give you many more options and I find it the easier of the two to more precisely control the temperature. I use the large 75% of the time. Great Christmas gift for you!
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Jeff J,
    Let give a perspective from the lower end of the scale. After years of just having a small and mini, I finally acquired a Medium BGE this fall and I love it. I have cooked on a large on many occasions. Regardless of which one you get, you cannot go wrong. The only thing holding me back from getting the Large has been money. A Medium with “all the accessories” may work better for you than a bare bones Large.[p]The amount of people that you can feed from any sized egg is only limited by your creativity.[p]Whichever one you do purchase, also buy the plate setter as it will come in very handy. [p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Well put! [p]Chuck

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />>>60% of my cooking on the egg will be for 5 people
    The large is probably the way to go, but with that said, I've never felt bad about only having a medium. [p]Good luck and whatever you select, just remember that "the best BBQ is the BBQ that you like the best"[p]Life is GOOD :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Jeff J,[p]My brother brought me into the Egg World. When I went to buy mine, I thought his was a large, so I bought the large. Then I discovered his was a medium. Both of us are extremely happy with our selections. I guess it boils down to money and space. If you have enough of both, go with the large. You can still grill a single hamburger on it.[p]Doug

• Jeff J,[p]Although many people could write pages on the pros and cons of the different size eggs, the answer to your question is actually simple. You should certainly get the large egg. I just traded my medium for a large for a whole host of reasons - one of the primary ones being that even cooking for groups of 6 or so people, I found myself packing the egg so full of stuff that it was affecting the air flow around the food and, therefore, the cooking time. The extra diameter of the large egg really does make a difference. Also, you can easily fit a sizable drip pan on it, you can use an extra rack, etc., which is much more difficult with the medium egg. I loved my medium egg, but I like my large even more.
  • Lumpy Bob
    Options
    Jeff J,
    I bought the medium and I love it, but there are times when a little bit more room when doing ribs or several steaks would be more convenient. I only have three in the family. With 5 people I would recommend you go for the large.

• NIGHTBREED
    Options
    Chuck,[p]the man is right i have a medium and a large.
    I live in an appartment for now and i am using the medium.
    You will be needing both. Sometimes you will cook your meat/fish on one egg and the vegetable on the other.
    Trust me once you've tasted the vegetables on the egg you will not want to cook them inside.[p]Man i'm almost out of lump!!!!!