Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

busted firebox

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my fire RING finally cracked in two after about 6 years. i could care less about that though. makes it easier to take out!

but what's disconcerting is the firebox. my original was in about 5 pieces after 3 years. four pieces i could handle, but the fifth chunk was like a frikkin IQ test.

my dealer dropped out of the egg biz, and other dealers are few and far between up here. i was saved by john C. at BGE during the time they were testing some unbreakable fireboxes. sent me an unbreakable one with a new 'recipe' for the ceramic. here's what's weird. the old one broke gradually. two pieces. three, four, etc. And the first crack was a year or so into it.

but the unbreakable one, well, i noticed a single crack maybe last week, after two-three years, and yet this week the thing is in 5 pieces. not the good stable, increased-airflow kind either. but the fallin-over kind.

my original dealer is gone. my new in-town dealer asks "what's a platesetter" when i ask about one for the small (he's also amazed when i buy a bag of charcoal once a month). i hesitate to ask him about a warranty item. so what's the deal? how can i get a replacement firebox under warranty (or can i?). i know it's a lifetime warranty on the guts for the life of the egg. but whattabout the life of my DEALER?

what's shipping cost for those puppies?

...maybe try the JBweld stuff?
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    well the jb weld has seemed to work for others it may help you for the short term.....

for the long term i would contact john he has been a heck of alot of help to me over the years.. i think i bought 5 or so eggs from him before i bought my own :pinch: but when i did he was truely happy for me... and last year when we went to the eggfest he let leah come inside to the mothership to feed the baby in a more "secure" bathroom... while she did the dariy queen thing for the baby he took our son on a tour of the wharehouse... i was so mad because i have not been on that tour :( ... but cannot say enough nice things about john if you call him i am sure he will give you the best option ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• stike
    to be honest. john was kind enough to send that firebox along as a freebie to test it out, that i don't want to call for another. i should just go the "normal" route.

but i hear guys that go to their dealer only to be told that the customer needs to pay shipping, etc.

i guess i ought to just TRY the dealer first and see what the experience is. i just have a weird vibe.

they were amazed i owned a small. "people BUY those?"

i wonder what face they'll make when i say 'my dealer from six years ago is out of business, so i'd like a free firebox from you, thank you very much"

hahahaha
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    The dealer doesn't have to pay for your replacements. Any dealer can replace any warranted firebox... there's paperwork, and time...

That said -- I'd have a simple chat with your new, inexperienced dealer. He has resources [distributor and mothership] to figure out what he has to do to earn your future business.

If he's not willing to get up to speed... the mother ship probably would like to know that -- don-cha thimk?

As for you paying shipping, if JBWeld can get you by for a while, your dealer can have your replacement firebox sent to you as part of a regular shipment he receives... and you're off the hook.

John at mothership sent me a Medium firebox... beautifully packed. It's this kind of support which helps me bespeak my brand loyalty to "investigators."

Stike it to 'em!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

~ Broc
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    What! :ohmy: What you say!! :pinch: :pinch: :pinch:

He took your son to a w..... Oh! A "ware-house!"

:whistle:;) :ermm:
  • stike
    i remember having this discussion with another dealer up the road a bit from where we are now, when my first firebox bit the dust. they said the firebox was free, but i had to pay shipping. they don't know that I know that they get a regular shipment from the distributor, and that it's easy enough to put a firebox on the next one. and for some reason they don't charge shipping when you order something (i ordered my large platesetter from them), yet it comes from the same warehouse...

now... up here they all have the same distributor. and so it'll be interesting to see what the story is from the new guy in town.

i'll keep you posted.
  • BENTE
    but see john can proabably make sure there is a new firebox with your dealers next shipment.. but i do not know this is true.. but he can proabably tell you your best option... it never hurts to ask.. i mean i know you do not want anything your are not entitled to but he can proabably tell you what to do to find your best option..

i know what you are saying "don't call in to many favors" but you obviously know him well enough for him to give you the straightest answer.. he has a family to support also and he is not going to jepordize that for a "trouble maker" ( :laugh: ) from the northeast.. but i bet he can still give you the best advice...

ok i got to unpause the F1 race and finish watching that but if i reply again saying the same thing over and over i may just give you a link that might be usefull :whistle:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Fireplace cement should work on your firebox and holds it's own in high temps. I rebuilt mine using refractory cement and it was eaten out, not cracked or broken. When you get your new one you can keep the old one as a spare.
  • BENTE
    that is a A not a O i guess you are like me having a adult beverage and reading :woohoo:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Bottom line is you paid a lot of money for your egg. I understand and appreciate "walking the fine line" but your (new) dealer should have no problems satisfying you, if not John should know and help.

I offer no warranties but if a customer has a problem with a bottle of wine I replace it no questions asked.

So, don't feel bad about asking what you paid for.

My thoughts.

Walt
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    One of the best features of the egg is the fact that they stand behind their warranty. And when you purchased your egg, you purchase that warranty. I don't believe that you are over stepping any bounds, I believe you are asking the the wonderful egg folks to do what they do best,"Customer service"!
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    well i had one shipped a few weeks ago on warranty since i was paying freight i ordered a few extras like platesetter,pizza stone,ash tool,daisy top,dome therm,spring band.....yeah yeah i was in a bad over looked update! but the shipping was real cheap i tought!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    What a great time to educate your new dealer.. The problem with lifetime warranties. It's your lifetime not your dealers..
  • Holy Cow- a lot of posts on this...
    but only I have the answer!

I called Tarantin Tank and told them I needed a new firebox, but that my dealer said I would have to pay the S&H on it. I did not want to pay anything on a "Free" warrantee part and was wondering if they could include an extra firebox the next time they had an order from my dealer. They said they could do that, but that I had to go thru my dealer. (The pool guy across from St Joe's).

Dealer was unclear on the protocol but turned out he had one in his stock, but he had to call his regional rep to make sure HE didn't get stuck paying S&H!

Long story less long- I got the firebox for free.

Call Tarantin Tank and see what they can do for you.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    A large firebox was $18 to ship from Atlanta to Wyoming.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • A year or so ago a fire ring was $30 to ship to Massachusetts.

I'm still using the two piece.
  • stike