Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Boys/Spice Girls

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen many very impressive mounds/hoards of charcoal! :laugh: How does everyone keep spices ,flours,cooking utensils, etc.? I have several cabinets but just can not seem to get everything together. I bought something today I already had. Maybe the extra bedroom?
DSCN2445.jpg

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Susan. You need to accelerate consumption.....Inventories are too costly under the present economic scenario.....that's an easy one.....just invite a few of us over....... :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Hi Susan,
    I feel your pain. We have so many spices they overflow to the Coop fridge. I like Beli's idea of another party to use them up. Headed our way again soon????

First thing I see is "dead" space on the bottom shelf. Take out the plastic bowls and then you can do maybe one of two things. I put mine on a turntable so I could get to all of them easily. The other thing is I have seen a triple tier shelf that stacks your spices and would take up the space at the top you are not using. Check out www.shopgetorganized.com. See item 26552 Spice Stack and 0637B Expand-A-Shelf. If you have room by your fridge, see item 28307.

I don't think the second bedroom is a good idea. The reason I say that is because, as I said before, some of our spices are in the Coop - I forget they are out there! Kind of "out of sight - out of mind". I'm afraid that might happen to you if you put them in your bedroom. Besides, I feel sorry for your company if they have to smell that good flavor all night when they visit you.

Good luck with your project. By the way, I'm jealous of Celtic Wolf's cabinet - wow....

Spring "now wishing for a new cabinet" Hen
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Hey CW......Where's the EVOO in that cabinet? :laugh: Thanks for the info

Brian in PA
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    My oils stay by the stove.. Just in case I might on the off chance want to use them inside.
  • pop-a- top
    Options
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have the same mess. I don't to many mixed spices for seasonings and the DP are about the only mixed spices I have in the cabinet but what a packed mess. took all my small bottles and half gone and stocked the camper with them. them worried that it would be HOT and not good for them so hauled them back in a couple of weeks later. but I had already bought replacements :unsure: so I have started moving into my other cupboard. and the half dozen I use the most are by the stove with 3 bottle of evo and balsamic vintager.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My overflow is in the medicine cabinet! 8 - ) But seriously, if you ever suffer a cut or wound, clean it well and then apply a generous amount of cayenne pepper. Contrary to what you might think, you won't feel a thing and you'll be amazed at how fast it will heal!!
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I have one of those 4ft wide stainless racks from Sam's in my kitchen. You have to be committed to serious egging!
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hi Susan,

You've been to the Chicken Ranch and know how important a well-equipped Ranch is, especially in the business we're in. Gotta keep things spicy or the business will dry up.

So I thought I would show off my inventory of spices (Well, maybe not all of them).

The Pantry Door...
    PantryDoor.jpg

The Spice Cabinet...
    Cabinet.jpg

The Spice Box (Upper)...
    UpperBox.jpg

The Spice Box (Lower)...
    LowerBox.jpg

Plus, there's some more scattered about.

And we are only minutes from a huge supply if we need it.

Spring "A Little Too Spicy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA