Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

While we\'re trying new side dishes....

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How about some herb roasted onions cooked over a spatchcock chicken? If nothing else I found another use for the paella pan! I seasoned the chicken with Tsunami Spin. Got the egg up to 400* with a nice chunk of peach wood (thanks Kim) and a generous sprinkling of sweetwood blend chips (thanks Mike).

Used a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten, FoodTV), modified just a bit for my taste.

2 Large Sweet yellow onions
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup EVOO

Mix all ingredients except onions to make a vinaigrette. Whisk briskly to form a thick dressing.

Remove the stem end of each onion and carefully slice off the brown part of the root end, leaving the root intact to hold the wedges together. Peel the onion. Stand each onion root end up on a cutting board and cut the onion in wedges through the root. Place the wedges in a bowl and cover with the vinaigrette.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the onions to a paella pan, reserving the vinaigrette that remains in the bowl, and dust with some fresh cracked black pepper. Bake the onions for 45 to 60 minutes at 400*, until tender and browned. Toss the onions once during cooking. Remove from the egg, and drizzle with the reserved dressing.

OnionsRaw800.jpg

OnionsChickenOn800.jpg

OnionsDone800.jpg

ChickenDone1800.jpg

ChickenDone2800.jpg

Comments