Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oktoberfest Brat Recipe needed!

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all! It's been way too long since I've been on here, but I've been enjoying my XL all summer in the Florida heat.

My wife and I are hosting an Oktoberfest party tomorrow and have 40 store-bought brats to cook. There will be homebrewed beer coming, but I won't have access to it in advance for cooking. I have plenty of Guiness on hand though for cooking and/or "marinating the chef".

I've been reading the recipes here and on the PDF's and have seen lots of different opinions and techniques. Do you have any other techniques or recommendations?? In particular, I'm wondering if I should simmer some or all of them in beer, cook indirect or direct, how long, what temp, with what smoking wood, etc.

As always, thanks so much!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wonka,

I simmer them in Guinness and sauteed onions in butter then grill and top with the drunken onions.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I do the same, simmer about 20 minutes then grill just enough to make them pretty. -RP
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    In the fall I like to simmer my brats in Apple Cider and onion. Usually simmer for about 30-45 minutes. then put them on the BGE at direct medium heat say 300-350 and turn them often. I use the BGE just to brown them off since they have simmered in the cider. hope this helps
    gp
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like them this way, its not traditional but very good. i also add rub during the mustard stage before grilling
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=252
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
  • I basically do what Steve is doing, but use an Oktoberfest (pretty much an amber brew) to simmer the brats when I just wat to get them out with out smoking.
    I simmer about 30 to 35 minutes (they are really pretty much “done” already) and than give them a good browning on the Egg, direct at about 300 F. BTW, these are fresh brats (whitish in color)…Not already smoked.
    The onion and butter (I use olive oil) get a sauté, than I add some heat and add a goodly bit of the beer the brats boiled in, boiling most of that off.
    A twist to that, is to also add some celery (finely chopped), garlic (minced)and Kraut…Keeping the sauté going until its all just browned.
    As far as smoking brats….Once they are cooked / simmered, they won’t take on very much smoke flavor. If I smoke brats (or any sausage for that matter) I do it fresh and cold with a LOW temp.
    The smoke wood used and the time will be factors here….Dependent upon how “smokey” your desire.
    A nice smoke on a sausage can range from apple, grape or alder (mild), to mesquite, hickory, oak or walnut which are rather pungent.
    I have had success smoking fresh brats (not pre-boiled) over a low fire (200 F. max.) with maple and even aspen.
    NO matter…Have fun!

Spuds
  • Wonka
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys, everyone!

Spuds, I was wondering about smoking when I first posted, thanks for hitting on that topic. Do you smoke, then boil, then direct grill, or just smoke? Or just smoke and direct grill?

I bought some Sam Adams Octoberfest to boil in yesterday since I was at the store and it was on sale.

Sorry I'm making this so complicated. I've only done brats direct on a (GASP!) gasser back in the day when I was single.
  • Wonka:
    The smoking / cooking can be done all in the same swoop!Smoking, then adding a bit of heat at the very end to grill / brown the little beasties. And even to get that "brown" the temp. doesn't have to get too high. Smoke, at say...200 F. and brown at 300 F.
    If I do this cook with out the pre-boil...I just drink the Octoberfest! BTW, Sam Adams make some really good brew, I'm thinking you will like the Octoberfest. And if you can find it, check out some Schell's, a small family run brewery here in New Ulm, MN

Spuds
  • Wonka
    Options
    Thanks again for the help, everyone! The boil and cook went great. I ended up using a pot that was WAY too big and the beer didn't seem to fill it much, so I just did two batches of 20 brats each. I finished the brats indirect and think I'll try direct next time. The flavor was awesome though, with a combination of hickory and beer. A little smoke ring was on each brat, so that was a nice touch for those that notice these kinds of things.