Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cochinillo Asado - Roast Suckling Pig

RollocksRollocks Posts: 570
edited 5:03PM in EggHead Forum
I've been wanting to roast a whole suckling pig on my XL egg for a while. My local butchers have told me the smallest pig I can get is 20-30 lbs.

I think this would be too big for an XL egg.

Recipes I've seen suggest that sucklings can be as small as 6 lbs but usually come in between 10-18 lbs.

JunkyardPerro had a post earlier this year in which he had pictures of a 11.5 lb suckling on what appears to be a large egg.

[url]http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=422988&catid=1#
[/url]

What is the largest do you think I could fit on an XL egg?
·

Comments

• RollocksRollocks Posts: 570
    I just spoke to a butcher who told me that the 20-30 lb weight is the weight of the pig prior to being processed. So now I'm wondering if the 11.5 suckling that JunkyardPerro used is the weight before or after being processed.
    ·
  • emillucaemilluca Posts: 673
    Have him/her 1/4 the beast. That would make it manageable and still a good presentation.
    E
    ·
  • RollocksRollocks Posts: 570
    I considered that, but I'd like to go for the whole pig look. A friend suggested i buy a live one and bring it home, slaughter it and dress it myself.

While my wife may be a hockey mom, she isn't into field dressing an animal. My kids though may enjoy chasing it around the yard for a day or two.
    ·
  • CrashCrash Posts: 32
    I smoked a whole hog of about 26 lbs but cut it in half so it would fit in the Large I own. It was a feral hog and wanted it cooked hard so I put it on at 1800hrs and took it off at 0200hrs. I cooked it at 250 with water in the drip pan. It was pulled off the bone, mixed with hot sauce and a little BBQ sauce. Then served on hamburger buns. There was nothing left over.
    ·