Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt........

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have followed Elder Ward's golden words to the "T" . . .onlt substituting a single malt for the JD. Its on, its at 200 and with the use of a polder, I havnt opened it yet.... Faith! ! !
Hope the fire keeps a going for 12 more hours...
////

Comments

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    MW,
    Faith my man! You gotta have Faith! You will soon have the most wonderful chunk of meat you've ever tasted! Let us know the results and the level of your satisfaction![p]BTW, I haven't seen this "handle" before! Welcome to the greatest bunch of crazies you'll ever be associated with. We are always here to help ya too![p]Dr. Chicken

• MW
    MW Posts: 61
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, I do find it a bit tricky keeping it at 200. I claened the thing out as per Elder, but the fire got too low. I do want to get to a point where I can leave Mr Egg and even to a point wher he can go through the night. Obviously, it is fire buiding technique I lack.[p]Tips???[p]////

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    MW, it's just as easy as going to bed and leaving your 3 week old baby tucked snuggly in the lawn chair outside. It will make a nervous wreck out of you. My butt methods are Elder's too. Never fails. But don't rush it. I got up one morning after my butt had been on since 3pm the day before and found the temp of the egg had dropped to about 120, but the butt was still at 115. I just opended the top and bottom vents and let her build back up. This was a 9 lb. butt and it took 27.5 hours. But it was probably my best yet. Don't worry about the time,, just keep cooking until she hits 200 internal. Some people stop it at lower temps,, but 200 has produced my best and most tender and moist pulled pork I have ever had. It takes forever for it to get from 160 up to 200. Keep the fire going at 200 or even a little higher after it reaches 160,, and be patient. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    MW,
    KOC has steered you right! It takes a little practice and TLC to get a low & slow burn going with enough confidence to walk away from it. I've had fires go out, like probably 90% of the folks here on the forum. Like KOC says, just open the dampers and let it get going again, or load up the firebox with more lump and start over again. Elder Ward has described the way to build a good "low & slow burn"! Believe me, it does pay to go to all that trouble. If you start taking short cuts, wait til you've experienced a good burn, and then fall back on those guidelines.[p]Sorry about the delay in returning your post. My wife and I headed out early and just got back![p]Let me know if I can be of further help![p]Dr. Chicken

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    MW,[p]You will do great. By now it is over I hope it turned out great. [p]Elder Ward