Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbies looking for help with accessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are BGE newbies. We have had one for all of 48 hours and cooked twice on it and loved the results! However, we don't know which accessories that are a "must have". Can any of you help us decide? I only have the daisy wheel, thermometer, and v-rack. BTW, I love this forum!!!!

Comments

• kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    platesetter for indirect cooks...which will likely be the majority of your cooks. Good luck! I love my egg and this forum.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]A plate setter (sold by BGE) is a nice thing and a good Polder type thermometer on a cable is a must have. I hope your Egg came with the steel grate - nice to have as well.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's cookbook etc[/ul]
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    I will third on the plate setter, and also a pizza stone. A MAPP torch is also handy and fun for lighting. Also an extra grid for doing raised cooking. I think I have only used my v-rack once, I prefer just to use the extra grate. A fish/veggie grid is also really handy to have.[p]~nikki

• CR
    CR Posts: 175
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    In addition to the Plate Setter and Polder type thermometer you need the Ash Tool. It is fairly inexpensive and is a must(unless you want to make one but IMO not worth it) for cleaning out the ashes from the bottom of your BGE. [p]The above items will get you through most all of your cooking. You can later add to your accessories, depending upon your preferences. Other items would be Pizza/Baking Stone, Wok, V-Rack, Verticle Roasting Racks, etc.[p]

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    Asbestos or welders gloves are a must...nde

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />greytgreymom, my favorite accessories and ones that I would include as must haves... 1) Polder even though my has been burned out for a while; 2) Ash tool - it does a great job of stirring old charcoal before relighting; and 2) firebricks (6 for a large or 4 for a medium) that are available for about $1.50 each. Dome thermometer goes without saying.[p]If you have a few minutes, take the time and check out the link below... you might find a few things taht may be helpful.[p]Wecome to the BGE :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    I second everything suggested so far and add my recommendation to get a cool looking hat, some extra outdoor chairs and some larger ice chests to hold the additional beer you are going to need to entertain your many new friends. [p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    Welcome to egg land, you are starting a long enjoyable journey and will gain many new friends here on the forum.[p]Now, for your question,
    I will second the suggestion by Strmn2smoke about welders gloves or anything that protects you from high heat. The gloves should be 3/4 length up the arm. I use Grilla Gloves, they almost go to my elbows. I use them when doing high temp. cooks because of the heat that comes out of the egg when you open it. [p]Are you aware of the "Flashback"??? If not, check out the link below.[p]New Bob[p]

[ul][li]Flashback by The Naked Whiz[/ul]
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    Lots of Yellowtail wine........and some Dizzy Pig rubs.

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]Ok. Here's my list aside from what has been mentioned:[p]A pigtail flipper
    Thermapen
    v-rack
    beer can (with beer)
    cookie sheet or such that works as a drip pan
    mist thing for spraying olive oil
    olive oil
    kosher salt
    mustard[p]I'm sure I'll think of more. I'm suffering from leftover sirloin tip roast I did yesterday with a TON of garlic cloves stuck in it. And a couple shots of vodka that went with it. Oh, and horseradish. My lord that's good stuff.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]I agree with everything listed below. My thoughts are, if you don't have one already, a separate freezer to take advantage of any sales on stuff you'll want to cook or a place to store leftovers. Wait...I never have leftovers![p]Welcome and ask away! Someone here is bound to have an answer.

• StumpBaby
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]There's only one thing I can add....[p]Nothing goes better with the egg..than a large bucket-o cheeze whiz.[p]Paul[p]
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    TABLE (with bracing)[p]
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]We're newbies as of late summer and, as you've probably figured out, you want it ALL! Q'ing toys are tops on my Christmas list. Welcome![p]QBabe
    :~)

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    greytgreymom,[p]Ummm,lessee... can't add much but maybe might help is... a hula hoop, a bag of deep fried pork rinds, a six pack of PBR, Elvis on 8-track, a gross of bottle rockets, sippin whiskey... single malt or blend or Kentucky or whatever..., lava lamp, cheap sunglasses, John Deere baseball cap, lawn chair, mulberry smokin wood, Louiseville slugger, attitude, Canadian lump, large cuts of MEAT and a little patience or none at all, mapp torch, tantric breathing, Sweet Baby Ray's, getting Spun, prime cuts, extra virgin olive oil, and a remote thermometer with an alarm that can wake you from the PBR/whiskey induced slumber.[p]Welcome to the forum! :~)[p]john

• Banker John
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    1) Will for sure want the gloves. Once you experience your first flashback, you will understand.
    2) Place setter
    3) Pizza Stone & 2 peels
    4) Table or the wing things (fold down tables)
    5) Ash tool
    6) digital camera to share Egg results with all your new friends[p]Banker John

• site1023.jpg
    <p />greytgreymom,[p]Get yourself some MAPP gas.[p]Pout

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Banker John,
    Those peels... I recommend one wooden, one metal.
    Add a couple of 8" round aluminum pans for baking, and 8 or 10 firebrick.
    Add another couple gross bottle rockets to WooDoggie's order, and toss in a bottle of distilled cane juice.[p]Ken

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    greytgreymom, I'd would strongly suggest that you have a replacement gasket kit, just in case.

• BlueSmoke, What's a peel?
  • New Bob, Wow!!! Thank you so much, I did check out the link you gave. What an eye opener!!
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    Think "spatula on a stick." A peel is the long (more or less) handled thing they use to slide bread, pizza, etc. into the oven.
    The wooden ones are really nice to form pizza on. With practise, plus cornmeal or flour on the peel, you can slide the pizza right onto the baking surface. Not so handy for hearth-baked (or pizza-stone-baked) breads which need a long second rise.
    The metal ones are great for removing the product from oven or Egg - slide it right under the product and you're in business. Again, with practise and flour, you can slide them under risen bread to carry it to the Egg.

• BlueSmoke,Thanks, I know what you're talking about now. There are so many terms I have never heard before!!! Wow!
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    I think if you worked at it, you could do it on cue, delighting small children and scaring the bejabers out of everybody and everything else...
    Ken

• BlueSmoke, I would love to show of to my 2 grandchildren, but I'd probably end up in the emergency room. Perhaps in time!

• kim, what's a plate setter, i have seen it mentioned on several other posts in response, but don't what it is.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    greytgreymom,
    Thank you for the reply, I am very late in getting back here. I'm glad I could pass on some safety measure to ya but all of the credit for the information goes to the Naked Whiz for his helpful website.[p]Happy safe Egg'n,
    New Bob