Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL with a gasket issue

Options
Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor just bought an XL today (that makes 4 BGE on a street of 11 houses!) and I was helping unpack. Noticed the gasket had shifted off center on the lip leaving half over hanging into the egg. Do you think this will give him any problems? I'm thinking the first few cooks may have gasket flavor from burning gasket and glue. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep. Carefully remove the gasket and reposition evenly over the base or dome. If gasket is ruined while doing this then contact dealer.

Scratch that. Contact dealer before you cook on it and ask for guidance.
  • Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    Call the mother ship they will send a replacement for free. I have four eggs at one address and I think the gaskets could do with improvement or go back to the old glue it worked.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I would give the dealer a chance to make it right.If that doesn't work,contact the mothership ;) You definitely don't want that burnt gasket smell to get on your food :sick:
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
    Seriously, you people need to relax on this gasket concern. If your neighbor's gasket is a bit loose before his/her first cook, either A) push back to lip which was originally adhered or B ) get a can of 3M #77 super adhesive to re-adherer the gasket.
    My only point of concern is why are you unpacking the egg and not having the dealer assemble it for you?

For the record: 4 years cooking on a large/small combo. 4 to 5 days a week work-out of the eggs. 1 cracked fire box each, both warranty replacements still sitting in the garage. High temp cooks (600'+) at least once a week, Zero replaced gaskets.
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    PedroWuzHere wrote:
    For the record: 4 years cooking on a large/small combo. 4 to 5 days a week work-out of the eggs. 1 cracked fire box each, both warranty replacements still sitting in the garage. High temp cooks (600'+) at least once a week, Zero replaced gaskets.

Well, you are Lucky. My XL is on it's third gasket in 6 weeks.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    Options
    I agree with Doug 123.If you were my customer i'd come to your house and put your gasket on for you.(also take a few adult bevs from the fridge if asked)Most likely would have put on a new gasket before I built the egg for you.Go back to your dealer and give him a chance unless it's BBQ's Galore.