Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Camping with Egg Question

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have Preordered a Large and a Small Egg. The Small is to use for camping and when I made it home my wife asked how long it takes for one of these things to cool off so we can put it in the truck.

Good question I thought. Waiting to leave a camp site for 8 hours while your egg cools doesn't sound like fun. I searched the forums and didn't see anything on it so I thought I would throw the question out to everyone. If I cook one day is this thing going to cool down by the next morning?

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• ric3677
    ric3677 Posts: 278
    Options
    quick answer...yes

Rick
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Yes it will be cool by morning. I always cook on mine and cover it the next morning when I get up and its completely cool. The only time you would have troubles is if you cooked and wanted to leave in an hour or two.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yep. i take it tailgating, and when we come out, it's cool enough to put in the car.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    I have loaded mine into a trailer right after a competition.

Take it apart. Lay the parts on the ground and leave the lid open. It will cool down enough with-in 20 minutes or so.
  • jeffinsgf
    jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
    Options
    Stike,

I've been thinking about tailgating with my medium. How do you secure yours while you're in the game?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i used to have a long plastic coated cable with a master lock. i'd run it thru the hinge and secure it to the tow hook or thru one of the wheels.

i lost the key, so i faked it and tied it around the hitch underneath, kinda locked like it was locked. finally gave up and now it sits there unattached to anything.

i'm less worried about people stealing it than i am that they'll fiddle with the vents or lid and get it started again... never been a problem tho
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kew_el_steve
    Options
    I would fabricate some brackets and PERMANENTLY bolt it to the front or rear of the camping vehicle. Problem solved, and in an obviously fashionable way...IMHO!

B) :silly: :woohoo:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ours love to go camping! The only time you would have trouble with cool down is if you were trying to head right out after cooking a long cook. but as has been said take it apart and spread it out and leave it open to cool off the fastest.
    Picture739Small.jpg
    Picture742Small.jpg
    Picture224Small.jpg
    Picture236Small.jpg
    Picture237Small.jpg
  • julie,
    can you explain the pile of food on the egg?? what's the white stuff..
    hope your son is happy in his new digs..
    bill
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Ohhh that is a messy picture! It was chicken for "the Chicken" and I had two batches going on that poor small egg!! LOL we had about 20 coming for dinner and I was doing it in shifts as it got closer to being done it went up to the top grill and just checked temps till done , then dredged in the sauce and into the cooler to rest. that mess is flour from the raw chicken I was just putting on. No wonder I have hardly any gaskets :ohmy:
    Mike is doing good in his new place, adjusting to being single. LOL 26 and can do what he wants and now he doesn't know what he wants to do??? he doesn't like coming home to an empty house but it is better than what he was coming home to. I just hope he remembers that. GRRR kids
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Dang Julie that is a lot of The Chicken...sorry I don't have a pic of my small when we were camping this summer with ribs stacked like that...way too funny...but it was goooood.. :)
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    Here is my small stacked with ribs while camping-
    2241369560067287234S600x600Q85.jpg

I take a small metal bucket with me to put the hot coals or ashes in so the egg cools faster. I just empty the egg and dump it in the campfire pit or equivalant.