Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing rib road question

Options
BobbyG
BobbyG Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a difference between a standing rib roast and a prime rib? Ok I know the rib road has bones, but is it really the same cut of meat?[p]Any other info you have is very welcome.[p]Thanks, BobbyG

Comments

• BobbyG,
    The main difference seems to be the availablity. Butchers often don't sell "bone in" until the holidays, whereas you can get a boneless pretty much anytime, provided you have a decent butcher or meat supplier.[p]As for cooking, I'm gonna guess and say the bone in roast will take a bit longer. [p]Check out Tim M's web site.[p]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[p]He is the font of much BGE knowledge in these parts.[p]Good luck![p]

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BobbyG,
    Prime is the highest grade, next is choice, the roast are the same but the grading is what makes the difference. Prime can sometimes be hard to find, it is what the high end restaurant's use. Get prime if you can.
    New Bob

• Rumrunner
    Options
    BobbyG,
    In answer to your question, YES and NO, it is the same piece of meat. Let me explain...years ago, and now in some northern states at smaller grocers or meat markets, when you ordered a 'prime' rib, that meant you wanted the first three or four ribs (considered the prime of the rib) and the rest of the rib was sold as a 'standing rib' roast. These were normally cut from USDA Choice Beef and there was a 50 cent per pound difference between the two cuts.
    USDA Prime Beef was hard to get because mostly your finer hotels and restaurants were the ones to receive this grade of meat. In the past few years the USDA has restructured their grading, due to better grown cattle, etc, and PRIME grade beef is more plentiful and easier to obtain.
    The cost difference between a high grade of CHOICE and PRIME is substantial, but the taste difference is minimal. I always go with the CHOICE. Not with any "CHOICE" because they vary in quality. Again, let me explain, when grading beef (there are many, many criterium) you may have a steer that is not NOT quite Select Grade (poor), so it will be graded as CHOICE (better). Another side of beef may NOT quite meet PRIME quality (but is darn close) and will be graded as Choice. These different quailities of CHOICE will be bid on and bought by various beef packers. IBP, Iowa Beef Packers, buys the top quality choice beef. Am I making any sense here?
    Anyway, ask your butcher to cut you a standing rib roast from IBP and you can't go wrong. I prefer ribs 4, 5 and 6 because of the fat content. 1, 2 and 3 will be leaner, but still tasty. Any more questions just remove the NO from my email address. Btw, I've been cutting meat since 1965.
    Rum

• BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Wow!! Thanks for the information. I could certianly tell you knew what you were talking about and I was wondering as I was reading how you gained your knowledge, of course you answered that question in the end. One of the great things aobut the BGE site is people like yourself willing to share the "secrets" and "tricks". It takes a long time to learn the tricks and I really appreciate you sharing. [p]I think I'll go with your suggestion of the 3,4,5 ribs and I'll do this for our xmas dinner with special friends.
    Thanks, BobbyG

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for an in-depth understanding of the prime rib, always nice to learn from the members of the BGE forum.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for the information! This was very useful.
    Thanks
    Hammer