Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone Size - Help

Options
andy_b
andy_b Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

wife picked up a 15 inch stone yesterday.

In an earlier thread it was indicated that this stone is too big for the large and may damage the gasket.

When I told my wife she needed to get a 14 inch stone she mentioned that most of the 14 inch stones actually measure 14.75 in diameter even though they are listed as just 14 inches.

If anyone is home, could you please measure the BGE 14" pizza stone and let me know what the diameter is? If that is truly 14, then I can return the one she bought and pick this one up instead.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    most stones non bge usually break and crack, mine, soapstone, is 15 inch and is cracked but can still be used, but most brands seem to break apart. the bge one is the way to go as its sized better for high temp baking, the 15 inch size resticts the heat flow a little causing the fire to be bigger for a given dome temp. the 14 inch size is right for the egg. i dont really buy the fact the bigger stone forces the heat on the gasket, but the bigger stone definatly creates a higher heat under the stone which causes higher heat in that area.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    i just measured mine and it is 13 7/8" wide, and it is 5/8" thick (which is why it lasts longer than other brands that are thinner) ..... hope this helps

david
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I routinely use a 16" stone on the plate setter on my large Egg. Frankly, as long as the stone is up to the job of being used over a fire, I'd say you are good to go.

You can get one of the new gaskets if the large stone appears to be harming your felt gasket. I just don't worry about it, and replace my gasket when it really needs it. The heat of the fire when the dome is closed doesn't affect the gasket. It's what happens when you open the dome. If the hot air exits the cooker by passing between the gaskets, then the felt can get damaged over time. If you have the dual function metal top off the Egg when you open the dome you can minimize the hot air escaping between the gaskets.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • andy_b
    Options
    Thank you. A couple of questions

1) Where can I get a new gasket? Is it something I have to ask BGE corp for?

2) How long do you wait after removing the dual function metal top before opening the egg?
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You can get gaskets from dealers, but you can get the Nomex gasket from BGE headquarters, I believe.

I would take off the metal top for 10-15 seconds so that full airflow gets going. I don't think it would matter so much with the nomex gasket.
    The Naked Whiz