Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintenance

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm taking a week off from cooking so I can concentrate on a thorough cleaning of both eggs as well as a little maintenance.

Does anyone have a punch list if things that may need attention re maintenance?

Comments

• A good burn off is all you need. You'll be back in business tomorrow.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Tighten bolts. Do a cleaning burn at 550 or so for about an hours with grids and platesetter inside. Once cooled, if there is a lot of flaky/dry charred gunk on the inside run a foil ball around it to scrape it away. Then take out the parts and hit it with a shop-vac. That is all I ever do.

Really shouldn't take a week. I do a cleaning burn after steaks or chops and just let it go until the lump is gone. Next day I spend 20-30 minutes cleaning, and can cook again right away.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    tighten the bands, and take up any slack on the hinge bolts, for somereason those bolts on the hinge get loose and the springs will no longer hold the dome open til you tighten them again. if you still use gaskets, reseat the dome as the gasket shrinks over time.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Thanks Guys. I had not thought about the bolts on the hinge assembly.

I removed all the components already and they are sitting on a piece of corrugate on my work bench for cleaning. I did this before I thought about a clean/burn to remove gunk. Oh well. I have shop vac'd the interior of both. This afternoon I am going to reattach my wooden mate slats which I sanded & refinished last weekend. Tommorow I will clean the internal components with a grill brush, then put back in place. Thursday I will tighten all bolts and wipe down the exterior of both eggs.

By taking a week off, I mean just this Mon-Thur. I will probably do some steaks on the small Friday night, then going low/slow all day Saturday on the Large. Gonna try out the "Happy Hippo Sauce" on either Brisket or Butt.
  • If your egg is in a nest, don't forget to tighten the connection in the lower cross support. Nearly dropped mine because of a loose screw/nut.
    Best,
    WA