Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining a steady egg temp

Options
MW
MW Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Obviously, its all in how one builds the fire. I have tried to follow Elder Ward's explicit and detailed instructions on Bosto Butt BBQ which covers fire prep, drinking etc. However, I started the Butt at 6 am and have not reaaly been able to leave the egg. Its was either too low and almost went out or I am fighting 250+ temps. I am fairly new at this and can normally control the temp well (large Egg using BGE lump) I cleaned it out very well in preparation.[p]Any tips? fire building is the key I guess, but amount of wood and other tricks to keep it at 200 for 12 or more hours is a trick I would like to master. Not quite ready to set it at midnight and go to bed. I am using a polder so the internal temp is well monitiored.[p]Love you all I could not have come this far with out you!!!!![p]////

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MW, Questions - Are you cooking indirect? Are you using firebricks? Do you have a cap for the top?[p]I have found that the firebricks really help stabilize the temp when cooking at less than the 250 degreee dome temp. I have had my medium run for 20 hours on one load of lump.[p]

[ul][li]Firebricks for Low & Slow![/ul]
  • MW
    MW Posts: 61
    Options
    Gfw, thank you for your rapid response... mmm you should smell this thing as it cooks!!!
    My egg is a large, I am using a daisy wheel (almost closed) lower door about 3/4 " open and no firebricks. Have the normal rack with a drip pan (6" x 10") and a V rack sitting in it....
    MW[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    MW,[p]Actually 250* is a desired cooking temp to do a butt. Best to get the fire stabilized and then don't mess with it any further. This is why Elder specified the drinking part, he is just telling you to get things going and then relax. That's the best part of Q'ing is the relaxation. Don't worry too much if the temp is exact or not....just stay within 25* on either side of 250* and you will be fine.[p]
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Gfw,
    I used 2 firebricks to support the raised grill grid yesterday. One on each side across from each other. I then set my water pan in between. I just wondered if I could set 2 or 3 bricks laying flat between the bricks supporting the grill? Then put the water pan on them. Might make a good indrect set up plus stabilize temps.... Boy, did any of that make sense? I contacted Daven Pottery Equipment in Atlanta. They are the folks who make the "plate setter" that Tim shows on his site. Problem is, they will not ship these out anymore 'cause UPS broke most of them. :(

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nu-Guy, check out the link below - not my creation, I believe it belongs to C~W - a lot of us use firebricks as we are describing - I still deciding which arrangement to use for my pizza tonight![p]
    [ul][li]Firebricks![/ul]
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the pics. This is exactly what I was thinking. :)

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    MW, my 2cents worth for you it a general rule-of-thumb. Once I get the coals going good,, I close the daisy slide wheel and open the little daisy holes just less than half open. Then I close the bottom vent down to where it has a good half-inch opening. Let'r level out and seek its own temp at that setting and you can see where to go from there. It may take an hour or more for you to tell what temp that setting will produce for you. Probably between 200 and 250. At least that's how mine and Guru's works at sea level.

• McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]BGE now sells a branded plate setter. Give 'em a buzz.[p]Kevin