Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st attempt at Dry Aged cooking...... Thanks Stike

Options
Mike in Abita
Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had an opportunity to eat some dry aged steaks a few weeks ago at a restaurant. IMO these were very good, by far the most flavorful steaks I've eaten. Thought to myself while eating it that the EGG would make them even better. So off to the store, found two good looking 25 day dry aged, choice Angus ribeyes. After paying $20 a pound for these it's home to the EGG. First off cook some taters, 400 dome for an hour and they were perfect as usual. On to the steaks, raked all the remaining lump into a pile and put in the CI grill. Left the dome open so little to no air restriction, and then watch that sucker heat up. Once the grid was good and hot, on goes the wifes steak. She prefers a little more MED to MED/WELL. I prefer MED/RARE to RARE. I gave her's a 3 minute head start. Grilled mine for another 3 minutes, then onto the dwell. Cooked both for another 5 minutes and perfection.

While these were good, they weren't as good as the dry aged at the restaurant. Flavors weren't as intense. I'm guessing mine were not aged as long, or more than likely, a cheaper cut to start with. I will continue to look for some longer aged and may even attempt to dry age a few myself. I may need to try and find some dry aged prime beef. Thanks for the info Stike, and I'll definetly be searching for more. They were still better than any wet aged I've had.

DSC_0029_edited.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow mike those look great ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, the package just says "aged" -- what made you think it was dry aged?
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Thanks Terry they were great. Just not as good as i know they can be. Gotta love the experimentation though.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I bought them from the Dry aged section in the cooler. Right next to the whole primals which are still aging. Should have gotten a wider shot of that one with the label. There was a sticker on saying dry aged 25 days. The 25 was written in pen. You can also tell by the third photo, that dark coloring on the edge is a result of the dry aging process.
  • BENTE
    Options
    yea with all this hot tub talk around here i am thinking about hot tubbing a hanger steak

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Mike,
    Her is a pick of dry aged prime. This was bought from an actual restaurant.
    DSC_0003-5.jpg
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Take photos. I love the look of a perfectly done piece o cow. Interesting, Hot tub a Dry Aged, HMMM may have to try that. Worked well on a strip I did a few months back.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Looks good from here AL. How'd it taste over there?
  • BENTE
    Options
    will do ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• HungryMan
    Options
    Tasted good. I pick one up every now and then. I only put kosher salt and pepper on it and its perfect. That's all they use at the restaurant and cook it over lump charcoal. They put more salt on it than I would have guessed.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I used just Kosher as well. Maybe I didn't use enough. Waited until they were done before I added the pepper, and a pat of butter.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg
  • HungryMan
    Options
    They throw the salt on heavy. The course kosher kind. A place In fort laud that I liked their steak brushed it with butter at the end. It all tastes good.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    could it be they were only wet aged??

they look good, regardless.
    i like the label warning "cook to an internal temperature of 160 degrees". yikes.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep I had a chuckle at the recommended cook to temp. There was another Dry Aged sticker on it with a hand written 25 on it. Maybe they are trying to pull a fast one. Hope not. I will definetly be on the look out for prime though.

Thanks for the e-mail.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mike, I had a similar experience. Had some dry aged beef at the Capital Grille that was fantastic. Then I bought myself a dry aged ribeye and it didn't come out nearly as good. Flavor and texture just wasn't there.

I made a $45.00 hunk of meat taste like $12. So I figure I need to improve my skills (or method) before trying that again.
  • stike
    Options
    -DELETED-

holycow.jpg

-DELETED-
  • stike
    Options
    don't discount the atmosphere in which you had the steak, too. you know, great food, wine, conversation, etc. makes everything seem better. not to mention the fact that food is almost always better when someone ELSE cooks it. ...and bob, we know you tend to think about things quite a bit when you do them yourself! hahaha

i can imagine you trying to enjoy that steak you cooked at home: "hmmm. ok, does this taste better than the one at the capital grille? did i do it right? should i have used less salt? more? was my grid hot enough? etc. etc."

heh heh heh

poor bob. too analytical for his own good. hazard of the business!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Too True, too true! I was pretty hammered.(Not)

I probably don't need to mention, I was the only one eating that $45.00 steak...

I could see the wifey now-"Are you sure this is done?? I'm just gonna nuke mine a little..."

and my personal favorite: " That meat is NOT cooked enough for My Children to eat!!" The kids have to chow down before their mother starts checking the food on their plates for doneness.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for them), they like it rare like dad!
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Defintely didn't look like that. The fat while not pure white was a lot less than cream colored and still soft. Might have been misled with the stickers. May have been dry aged for a week and wet for 2. Who knows?

I will find some better than this, and try again.
  • stike
    Options
    well, i say just ask the dude. once he knows that you know what you are after, he might talk to you a bit more about what he does to age it. for me, the thing that i'd really want to know is was it PRIME? >just checked your original post, and seems they were 'choice'. there is a good difference, especially since aging is half about condensing the fat. the more fat, the more flavor....
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hey Mike,
    That steak didn't "appear" to be dry aged; it seemed too red and moist. The label says aged, not dry aged. From what little I know about dry aging, it's different than wet aging. I'm guessing that's where the difference in taste was. Dry aged veruses wet aged? I'm guessing you still enjoyed the steak, just not $20.00 per lb enjoyment. :whistle:
  • stike
    Options
    were those whole primals totally unwrapped and exposed to the air? is there a case of them or something?
    coolio