Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up a leg of lamb and don't know how to cook it. I've heard BGE owners rave over what the Egg can do to a LOL. Please help with suggestions on marinades, rubs and cooking. Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Grate Grills
    Options
    Big K,
    When I think Lamb the flavors that come to mind are; Garlic, Kosher Salt, rosemary, oregano, cardamom... Usualy make a paste or marinade, Red wine vinegar for acid, little olive oil for lubricant. Cook to 130 temp and let rest 15 min. Direct or indirect depending on your pleasure and time to spend tending the egg. Fresh rosemary or a tart wood such as cherry or grape vine for smoke.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Grate Grills,
    Pierce the leg every few inches and put in cloves of garlic (whole or split lengthwise). Marinate 4 to 24 hours in 1 cup red wine, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 coarsely chopped onion, 1/4 cup dried mint (several stems, if you get fresh), and salt & pepper. Cook indirect 275 to 300º till internal temp reaches 130º. Like GG said, grape wood is fantastic - otherwise go for a fruit wood.
    Ken

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Big K,[p]I don't remember who provided this here, but I've made it twice and it is to die for:[p]Boneless Rolled Leg of Lamb (EVERY BITE IS SENSATIONAL)
    Ingredients:
    • 1 Leg of Lamb Roast • 3 Tbs Floor • 2 Tbs Olive Oil • 1 Tbs Salt • 2 Clove Crushed Garlic • ½ tsp Ginger • ½ tsp Sage • ½ tsp Marjorm • ½ tsp Pepper • ½ tsp Thyme Preparation Directions:
    • Mix ingredients into a paste.
    • De-bone the roast and flatten it.
    • Spread ½ of the paste onto the flattened roast.
    • Roll up the roast into a sausage shape and tie off every 1 in. or as required to hold shape (more is better when it comes to serving).
    • Spread the remaining paste on the outside of the roast.
    Cooking Directions:
    • Cook indirect over plate sitter, etc. at 350 degrees until done.
    • About 1 hour for a 4 lb. roast.
    • Do not over cook medium to medium rare is best.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Big K,
    The recipes can go on and on. Here's another take from one that we did this week: butterfly leg and marinate it for 1-3 days in olive oil and lemon juice (3:1); add lemon zest from one whole lemon; a 1-2 tbsp of oregano and 1 tsp thyme - all to the marinade; slices of garlic into many slits in the meat. Grill at 500 on raised grill, about 10 minutes each side until internal tanp is 135. Let it sit 15-20 minutes, then slice. Best Greek-style lamb I've had. Enjoy.