Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp Lejon, Maurice's BBQ & Brew

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Almost finihsed refinishing my large table & the new mini table when I got the hanker'n for Shrimp Lejon, haven't had it it years, so I set up the mini on my lump container & 16 Shrimp, 16 half-strips of bacon, some horseradish & a little smoke; dunk'm in Maurice's Carolina Gold BBQ sauce, washed'm down with some brew, exquisite:

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

Life is good B)
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks good!!!!!

i need to do more shrimp

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Lookin good Zip :woohoo: I think that i'll try that soon :cheer: ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    Zip me and you need to get togeather. That lookes great. Never thought about horseredish and shrimp but bet its great. I make my own from a recipe bill gave me with my own sick twist. Grate the root,vinigar to paste, salt to taste and my twist...grate up a death pepper in it. Talk about intense!!! :whistle:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    You know, I do believe adding a death pepper or the like would make up for the natural heat loss you get when cooking 'hot' things like peppers & horseradish. I am forever searching for the perfect balance of raw heat to be applied before cooking to render the perfect cooked heat; like I said, it has been years since I have had this type of shrimp, & next time I do them (& it'll be soon cause they're so damn good), I will put about 3x as much horseradish on - bottom line, what I am searching for could also be accomplished by the addition of a death pepper, that stuff sounds great. As a side note, the traditional dipping sauce for this recipe is something similar to Russian dressing or that stuff that comes with bloomin onions at Outback, it's really good, but this Maurice's was made for this
    happy in the hut
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Are you canning it the fresh horse radish or make as you go?
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Those look great! We make em all the time with my BBQ sauce cooked on but I've never added the horse radish first. Does it actually cook too? Does it mellow with grill's heat? Very cool!
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Big'un, it does mellow quite a bit like hot peppers do, I will put a lot more on next time, & I think I may try some bbq sauce cooked on too, that sounds fantastic. I have had grilled & sauced shrimp, but not with the bacon & horseradish
    happy in the hut
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i asssume you will be making this at next years pa egg fest????? yes!!! they look great... horseradish is easy to grow in fact it spreads almost too much... nothing like fresh grated... i've been sending jl the roots once they go dormant they are easy to transplant ir you want to grow some or you can order from burpees.. in addition to grating the d.p. [or instead] grate a clove of garlic in it.the microplane rasp makes the best grater.lee valley tool
    of to visit mom
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I knew I was forgetting something. As bill said I grate up 3 or 4 cloves of garlic with the other ingrediants. Would not recommend for a single man before a big date on a Sat. night!! ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I just do it as I can get the drug... I mean the root from bill. He's got me hooked like a crack addict on this stuff. Never had it before but I love intense flavors and its got it!! ;) The root I can get at the grocery is about like eating caned whole cornel corn compaired to fresh corn on the cob off the egg. I don't think it will grow down there. Summers to long and hot so I'm at his mercey! :pinch: