Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

We cooked some'en: Deer chilie

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been on a dutch oven kick of late. Cooler weather and easy clean up. Working 4:00-16:00 this weekend so not much spair time. Got home and the wife had made a big pot of chilie. 1 LB deer hamburger, 1 LB ground chuck, one can Rotel, one can diced tomatoe with onion and garlic, four fresh garlic cloves, chilie powder to taste, one can rinsed ranch style beens w/onions and I added grated cheese and chopped jelopenoes on top. Browned meat and added ingrediants to dutch oven. Uncovered on platesetter with smoke stones under oven for 45 min. at 350-375 with lots of presimmon wood then covered for 30 min. The peppers were the finnal touch! ;)
09-22-09023.jpg

09-22-09031.jpg

09-22-09032.jpg

Comments

• Also JAKE APPROVES, altho on leave. Super lookin chili. Git some rest. Miles out.
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Hey!!!!!!!! Looks delicious! :) Did you take the deer and in what state?

Brian in PA
  • That's looking really nice, there. Don't worry--I won't tell the little ones it's actually Bambi in there :)

Looking forward to checking out the new board, too. Thanks for the note--all's quiet on the home front this weekend.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Man that looks good! It's about time to start dropping quackers, isn't it?
  • South Arkansas. The things are like cows down hear. I'll see 8 or 10 on the 11 mile ride to work this morning. There is a heard of 5 or 6 on my place that will just stand and look at 20 feet while I ride by at 3:30 am. A go about 12 mph till I hit the main blacktop. Never hit one on the bike but got a feeling it would not be pretty! :blink:
  • Good deal partner. You been needing one of these "stress free" week ends!
  • Still got almost 2 months. Season doesn't open till 3ed week Nov. Teal season was open and I love teal. To me the best tasting duck there is but sketters and snakes are sooo bad in the bottoms and not that many teal hear yet any way that whe gave that up after a couple years. Ark doesn't have a wood duck hunt with the teal like a lot of states so limited to just teal untill full duck season opens.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    JL:

The chemist that works for me had one jump into him while going 40 mph on his softail. A bent fender and some bumps and bruises was the damage. A buck ran into my wifes blazer while she was stopped. I haven't hit one yet but have come close. I had a boss who hit one and then while driving his bosses car while his was being repaired hit another. No injuries either time. There was some fur in his bosses grill to confirm the cause. Its an odd day when I don't see at least one deer driving to work.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Good looking pot of chili. I agree it's time to bring the cookware outside.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Just one man's opinion, but venison is THE meat for chili and that look's awesome...and pretty easy!

JL - the 10 yr old son and I are also counting the days to start out favorite time of the year - DUCK season. Moved back to Texas from Memphis (used to hunt Stutgart area), so the hunts are pretty different down here...but it's more about the time with the boy. He will be handling a shotgun for the first time this year. Can't wait to make some duck/sausage jambalaya.
  • run4jc
    run4jc Posts: 107
    Chili looks great! I have an old recipe that I am fond of and the kids love it...my problem today was finding a dutch oven. All I could find in stores were 5 quart versions - I'd really like to have a minimum of 8 quarts and larger if possible. I can google and find them, but does anyone have any recommendations for a good source? I want cast iron.
    I bought a cheap 16 qt stock pot just to get me through this first cook and to keep around for stocks later.