Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your prefrance in knives?

Options
DatilpepperBBQ
DatilpepperBBQ Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is your prefrance in knives, Shun , Wusthof ,Victorinoxe,JA HENCKELS ect.. ect.
Looking for a set to give as a gift. Thanks

Comments

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    I have a set of JA Henckels they were a wedding gift and after 7 years of marriage bliss they haven't needed to be sharpened. I try to keep my wife from putting them in the dishwasher.... despite my best efforts I still find them there sometimes ;)

If I had my pick right now I would either go with Wusthof Trident or Alton Brown's Angled Shuns knives if price weren't a concern :whistle: However if you give any decent knife as a gift the recipient will be thrilled :)
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Options
    I love Wustof! I grew up using them and do every day in a professional kitchen. I love the weight of them it feels like i am holding a knife when I work. Alot of the global and other such Japenese knives are to light for me to use. Henkels are great, except they have different levals of qualitity they produce. they have forged (higher $) and stamped (cheaper$). I know of plenty of knives you can spend up to $400 a knife on amd I would still use a wustof. Hoss
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    I have Wusthof and really like them.
  • James MB
    Options
    I have used a Sabatier Lion Knife (French - Thiers) for the last 16 years. I treated myself to a Henkels four star chef's knife a couple of years ago but find it too heavy and thick, it came with a free parer though which I wouldn't be without.
    I have a Henkels riveted carver and it's lovely but it needs sharpening as it ends up in the dishwasher.
    I saw that John Lewis (a dept store here in the UK) carries the Lion knives in two grades - aluminium bolster and SS bolster. My only niggle was the ali bolster getting pitted. I now find they only carry the ali bolstered ones, oh well.
    The best thing I bought was a knife sharpening kit, once I had rejuvenated my Lion knife I hardly reach for the heavier ones.
    btw we have a superstition here that you should never give a friend a knife or else it will cut your friendship - give them a coin with it then they can "buy" it from you with the coin - my mother taught me that one when she gave me a nice knife!
    For a great littel penknife I have a "Peck" from CRKT but now they are getting worried about knife crime here I try not to keep it in my pocket anymore.
    I nice knife is very personal, but I imagine one gets used to the knives one has and one doesn't necessarily spend on quality for oneself - sounds like a great gift.
    Good luck.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I use Wusthof. It's quite personal, as to weight, length, what fits one's hand and such. People that are into knives have quite strong feelings on the matter, passion right up there with Eggheads! If someone were really into cooking I would hesitate to give a knife as a gift because it's so subjective and the recipient's taste could be different from my own. Maybe a gift certificate so they can pick their own knife would be safer? It's also my understanding that certain cultures view giving a knife as an insult. Others think it's bad luck and you're supposed to give them a penny so they can "buy" it from you.

Have you considered giving a set of steak knives? Mine have an unusual design and when I get them out of their wooden box it brings back great memories of Thiers. On the other hand, if you're an Egger you probably don't need special knives for your steaks!

The big blocks with lots of knives are a waste of money. I use a large chef's knife 95% of the time, a paring knife 4% of the time, maybe 1% I get out a slicer for show. Serrated and electric don't really count. ;)

Most kitchens I visit have lots of knifes and nothing is sharp. Learning to sharpen a knife is a greatly underrated skill!
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Those of us too poor to even hope to buy good knives just go to Sam's and get a set of Wolfgang Puck knives -- set of 4 for $29.95, block included.

The advantage of these knives is that they open mail, cut up cardboard boxes -- yada, yada -- and ever'-so-offen ya jist grind 'em down a little bit more.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Options
    I have just started getting into the Japaness knifes and really like them. The sharpness and refindment of edge is wonderfull. Have never used a Shun but it was down to it or the Hattori I ended up getting. The reviews on the Shun were great, Although a friend just got one and was not impressed with sharpness out of box, I just liked the extra detailing on the Hattori and cost the same snaging off Ebay.
    1stsjune085.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A really good chef's knife, whatever brand, will handle 70% - 80% of kitchen chores. And if its really good, it deserves a honing steel. It may be less impressive than a whole set, but if you can find one that comes in a nice box of its own, the initial impression will give a hint of the long term satisfaction the knife will give.

Also, stainless is a better choice for someone who might be in a hurry or a more casual cook. I had a brand new carbon steel blade that I forgot to wipe clean after cutting up some ribs, and found it badly corroded the next morning.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I love Wustof! Hubby got me a set for Christmas last year and It is true there are about 4 that get used all the time and the steak knifes, but I love them all.I do miss the side of my thumb though :(
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    Tramontina was selling a very good quality set at a good price. I bought two sets one to keep and one as gifts. Don't forget to include a easy to use sharpener a cheap knife that is sharp is better than a German steel one that is dull. Look at the Chef's Choice series. About 25 bucks, and anyone can use it effectively.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Options
    Very interesting post. Both the tradition of giving knives to friends, and then the part about not being able to carry a pocket knife.Whew God bless American gun loving culture.LOL Remember we still allow English to join the colonies. Even at this late date.
  • chad wards book "an edge in the kitchen" is a great resource for knive knowledge and buying .
    i have the mega set of whustof's [a gift] and a growing collection of japanese knives.[my newest addiction thanks to uncomundrum]
    i think the determinig factor is the recipient. do not buy japanese if you think he or she will put it in the drawer...my buddy put his shun in the drawer> huge chip out of the edge... japanese steel is brittle! and the non stainless needs a lot of care.
    if your friend is knowledgable japanese steel is great to use a nice to look at check out korin.com
    otherwise whustoff. 4 knives should do it a bread slicer a paring knive a large chefs knife an a slicer.
    you can e-mail me thru the forum i post as 'bill' all lower case if you want more info and links to japanese knife stuff i will be away from the computer a lot of the day
  • take jamesmb's advice and include a coin.. mom always taped a penny to a gift knive ,, i thought it was a pennsylvania dutch superstition but apparently it is more widespread than that .
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have 3 henckels knives (paring, 7" santoku, and boning) and 2 shun chef's knives - 6" and 8".

The shuns are much better knives. The take an edge better and hold it longer. They have a better feel in the hand. They were also about 3x the price of the others.

If you look to henckels, which is a good brand, make sure to look at the logo. One stick figure is their lower end models, while dual stick figures are the higher end knives. I believe there to be a manufacturing difference between the two, but can't recall what that is off the top of my coffee deprived head this morning.
  • Cincykid
    Options
    I have a set of Shun knives and, although pricey, you can't beat the sharpness and balance. I've had mine for a year and they are still razor sharp.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I have been using a Henkle (two stick-man) 8" chefs knife for a long time and I still like it. It has a bolster and my fingers have gotten used to feeling it when I grip the knife.

I recently purchased a 10 inch Shun (Classic), because I wanted the harder steel for holding a razor's edge longer. But I must admit its damascus steel blade is beautiful to look at, and it was mostly a fun new toy to buy. While it is well balanced, I'm struggling a little bit, getting used to the feel of the thinner blade, and the lack of a bolster, and switching from an 8 inch blade to a 10 inch blade feels a little odd. If you're making a brunoise, it produces an incredible cut. In fact, lately, eventhough I might only need a rough chop, I've been fine chopping everything, just for the fun (and practice) of using the new knife.

It is a very subjective thing, and all of the brands you mentioned are fine knives. I think I know more folks who love their Wustoff's better than any other. They seem almost emotional about them. Whichever you choose, don't put it in the dish washer.

Good luck.
  • dukedog
    Options
    Love Henckles and Wustoff and have chefs, paring and slicers from both. But I wouldn't be afraid of Chicago Cutlery for something that still has good quality and a better price tag. I received a set of steak knives and a, 8 inch chef made by Chicago many years ago as a gift that I still use everyday and they're very solid. Don't know if the quality of what they put out today is the same though.
  • gthom
    gthom Posts: 36
    Options
    The most comfortable to hold for me is Cutco. I had a small set and wound up selling it.

I now have a mixed set of Henckels Pro S (the Twin Series) and Heckels Classic (International - the cheaper ones). They look the same in the block. The Classic has a little bit duller looking handle and a different feel to the touch. However they are both forged knives and I've found the Classic to hold an edge just as long.

My suggestion is to make sure you buy FORGED knives, not stamped. If you have a Kohl's near your home, they usually have great prices. Way better than what you'll pay at any dept store.

I would buy them a set of 7 really good knives versus a set of 20 so-so knives.

Also consider their hand sizes compared to yours. What feels good to you may be too big/small to them.
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    These will be for my sister. Not Sure what I will go with yet , But have recived some helpful info here.
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    I have the 5 star henkles set. I've had them for about 15 years and they are pretty easy to sharpen to a razors edge. I did drop the paring knife on my ceramic tile and it broke at the tang. I picked up a 5" Santoku that came with a paring knife to replace. My M-I-L got me a Wustoff carving knife & fork for xmas one year, which I also like very much. But, my favorite is the set I bought off ebay. They are Queen Cutlery, made in Titusville, PA and are about 40 or 50 year old. The steel is awesome and is easily sharpened to a razors edge. They are both carving knives, although one has an 11" blade with a blunt end the other has a normal point and is only 10" long. They have bone handles with aluminum bolsters and are very nice looking. The kitchen knives are really just a sideline for my pocket & fixed blade hunting & pocket knife collection. I have many Queen, Case, Buck, Sog, Schatt & Morgan, etc.