Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruined Pork? Help

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just opened my butt and it had a little bit of a bad smell to it. Not sure if I should take it back or cook it. It says good till 10-06. Thoughts?

Comments

• DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    If it smells bad, I think I would return it.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    What a bummer. Return it or throw it out.
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    It is hard for us to determine what your "bad smell" is from. I have a 10 lb package of cryovac sealed ribeye steaks that I plan on opening in 3 weeks that I expect to smell bad when I open it, but I have done it before and know that smell is fine and is to be expected after 4 weeks of wet aging the meat. I would suspect that your meat is fine, but not knowing at what temperature it has been stored and other considerations, you are the only one that can make the call.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    If it was cryovac packed, then give it about ten minutes and try again. However, when in doubt....toss it!
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I just got back from returning it to Wal-Mart. When i went to get another one the meat cooler was covered. I rung the bell and ask what the deal was and discovered that the cooler was down. Go figure. The guy said corp had just called them and told them to pull all the meat and toss it and they would send someone to fix it. I was kinda amazed that someone in a office somewhere keeps up with all the Wal-mart cooler temps in the USA. This seems to be the case though. Anyway.... On with the show!!! I just got back from town and I now am the proud owner of a 8.6 pounder and the Egg has been laying in wait @250 since my departure. Time to smoke.
  • TampaQ
    Options
    i buy pork loins from Sam's all the time and I would say 100% of the time when I first open the vac bag there is a distint bad smell. It goes away within a minute or so and they have always been great and no problems. My quess would be you are fine. Did the smell go away within a couple minutes?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Good call on the return, although I have never taken the actual meat or seafood back.....just the label and the reciept is good enough.

For future reference the purge from the cryo can have a very slight "off" odor. It should go away a few minutes after opening or after a quick rinse with water. If it lingers, or if you are concerned at all, don't risk it. It has been years since I have opened one that had any odor at all, and between barbecue and sausage I handle 200+ pounds a year.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Glad you made the right call. I was in a store the other day and mentioned that it sure was hot. The manager told me that their parent company in Seattle controls their room temp in Georgia. Go figure!