Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

is a V rack necessary?

Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking an 18# turkey. I will us the plate setter with a drip pan. My plan is to use the regular grid. Will it make much of a difference if I use a V rack? I currently don't have one and am debating whether or to not get one for tomorrow. Any suggestions?[p]Thanks,
Vogs

Comments

• Vogs, IMHO you need to get it onto some kind of rack to raise it off the dip pan, otherwise the color is going to look like the sun bather who fell alseep on the beach. Ya need the benefit of heat and air circulation. Can you jerryrig something?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    kat,[p]He could put the drip pan under the main grid and on the upside down plate setter.[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    da...give me three slaps with a brined turkey wing...I clearly forgot he said he was using the plate sitter!

• Tim M
    setter1-5.jpg
    <p />Greg,
    BGE sells them. Very nice thing to have!![p]Tim

• Vogs
    Vogs Posts: 41
    Tim M,
    I plan on doing things the way you stated. I am asuuming this will give me enough air & heat circulation so I do not need a V rack.[p]Is there any benefit to a V rack?[p]Thanks,
    Vogs

• Tim M,[p]So I assume it goes under the grill and you can put a drip pan or water pan on it? You can then just put the food on the grill? I am a new BGE owner and have only grilled/smoked small foods so far. I appreciate the help. I am planning on cooking a 20lb Turkey tomorrow. Do you think I can create a make shift rack to go under the grill if I can't find a plate sitter today? Any suggestions? I was planning on just using a roasting pan and rack on top of the grill????
    [/b]
  • Tim M
    vogs,[p]Not really I guess. I have one so I just use it, it is a devil to clean.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    turkey11.jpg
    <p />Greg,[p]I do mine this way. Vrack on top of a couple firebricks to keep the drippings from burning up. I set iy on an extra grid with handles so I can just set it in there. You won't just find a plate setter, maybe some Bge dealers might have one. Firebricks are easy to find at woodstove stores or brick yards. Your setup will certainly work but the drip pan tends to burn the drippings.[p]Tim
  • Greg,[p]A roast pan and a rack is fine. That is the setup I used a couple of weeks ago and the turkey was awesome. That is also the typical setup that I use for any type of roast. When in doubt on any cook, I use the same setup that I would use in the oven.[p]Pout
  • Pout,[p]Thank you. Will just a standard rectangular pan work? It is approx 14" long.[p]Greg
  • Greg,[p]Yes. That seems about the standard size. It will fit on the large (18 1/4 inches) or the medium (15 inches) with room to spare.[p]Pout
  • Tim M,[p]Thank you! I will give this a try on my next bird. I will give the drip pan and rack a shot this time. I don't see the plate sitter on the BGE website. Do they sell it?[p]Greg
  • Tim M
    Greg,[p]Yes they do. I see it on their PDF catalog. Go to the home page, scroll down and you will see a link above the Acrobat logo. It says something like "The Green Egg 2002 product catalog". Click it and see ALL the Bge has to sell. The setter is there and so are the steel grates. Get both[p]Tim
  • Pout,[p]Thank you. Do you put liquid in the drip pan? If not, does the turkey let off enough drippings for gravy, etc..?[p]Greg
  • Tim M,[p]Thank you.[p]Greg
  • Greg,[p]You got me on that one. I always overlook the gravy aspect. If there is nothing between the drip pan and the charcoal, other than the grill, then you should probably add some liquid to the drip pan. Hopefully another egger can offer some advice.[p]Pout
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Tim M,
    This is exactly how I do mine and I have a V-rack and a vertical turkey roaster!

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Greg,[p]I feel bad I wasn't able to reply yesterday, but for next time, you might try this, it's the cheapest way to go indirect. [p]Go to your BBQ store and get one more grill grate. Remove the fire ring from the BGE that the grate normally sits on. Put one grate on top of the fire box, then put the fire ring back in. Put the drip pan on the lower grill grate, then put your normal grill grate in its normal position. Put the turkey on the grill. Now you've got a thermal barrier and a drip pan and the turkey gets airflow all around it.[p]Of course, you want to fill the egg with wood and start the fire, before putting the lower grid in place, but this method will work. If you had fire bricks, those could be placed below the drip pan, but on this new lower grid location. This is how I did indirect cooks when I needed a lot of dome space, until I got the plate setter. Since getting the plate setter, I've not used a fire brick.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb