Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! How to get butt up to temp, quick?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a couple of butts going 18 hours (since before lunch yesterday). Got three separate layers; pizza stone, drip pan, butts on top. Dome temp ranging from 190 to 230 all night. Internal after 18 hours is only 152. I just bumped up the dome to 240. Low and slow's seem to always take me longer than anybody else.
The problem is that I have to have them pulled and served by 11:00 this morning!!! Should I wrap? How high can I bring the dome temp? Any QUICK help would be appreciated.[p]What do you mean you never heard of a Thanksgiving Butt?!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Wade,[p]Your problem is one of temps. With a dome temp of 190°-200° and a hunk of ceramic in there, the temps at the meat might easily be 170-180° or less. It's hard (ie: impossible) to get the meat up to 200° when the surrounding area is not higher in temp. Answer - cook hotter. Bump it up to 275-300 dome temp.[p]Tim
  • OK, now the dome temp is 325. Internal temp is 162. It's almost 9:00 and I have just over two hours to have the project completed. I am pretty sure it's not going to be 190f in an hour and a half. Maybe I should punt the pulled and slice it? If so, what temp do I take em off? How long do I wait to slice? Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Or, maybe there's still some way to pull it within two hours?
    Thanks!

• Wade,[p]Wrap in foil, and then throw it back on the egg... You will obtain your finished temp a lot faster...