Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey - drip pan? temp?

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking my first bird tomorrow and looking for some last minute advice.....1) do I need to use a drip pan? if so, how much of what liquid should I put in it?...........2) do you suggest 15 minutes/lb at 350....or 25 minutes/lb at 250........3) should I coat the bird in butter prior to cooking?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Comments

• kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    Steve,
    previous posts will tell all!! I would therefore go 325-350 indirect. Lower temps will produce less browning and greyish color. Rub with butter or oil prior to cooking to promote browning. Drip pan under bird on rack for gravy, else put drip pan on platesetter under grill rack to reduce flare ups and bird directly on grill rack or roaster pan or...I'm sure it will turn out great on the egg! Good luck!

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    Steve,[p]Yes to drip pan..no liquid..pan should be on fire brick and slightly elevated off the brick,pizza stone or plate setter..Definitely oil or butter the bird.. definitely@350/15minutes pound or until breast is 165*9degrees).
    Hope this helps...nde

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Steve,
    At 350*, be prepared for a cook time closer to 12 mins per pound. Doesn't sound like much but on a 12 pound bird, that's 30+ mins quicker!