Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with bird

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7 lb turkey breast that I want to smoke and not come out dry. Any suggestions? Please help. Thanks.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Ned Nixon,[p]Cook it to a breast temp of 162-164° and don't go past 165°.[p]Tim
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Ned Nixon,[p]If you just do what Tim says, you'll get a nice turkey. Cook it at 325 dome. Use a meat thermometer to measure the temp. Consider using apple wood, but don't go too heavy. Also, if you can, drop that breast into a brine right now. Even the most simple brine will give the bird much more juice. FYI, I've brined Butterball breasts with success, even though Butterball says not to.[p]--sdb
  • sdbelt, I agree - I have a Honeysuckle swimming in a favorite brine recipe and will be in there about 35 hours before the cook. To some folks brining an injected bird is akin to wearing a belt plus suspenders, but by jolly it works! Afterall the brining works from wing tip to drumstick and all points inbetween. Actually if you look closely at the breast you can see the holes left by the injector machine - there is a clear pattern and nothing like the overall pentration from brining.