Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

taters

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to make my killer mashed potatoes again this year. I usually have way way way more than i need, so how many taters should i peel for about 20 people(adults & chitlins) Answers in lbs please. Happy turkey day to all.
Seth

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Seth Howard,
    I figure 1/3 to 1/2 pound a person, but (especially this time of year) it depends on what else you're having. I'd cook at least 8 pounds - 10 to be on the safe side.
    (Besides, left over mashed taters go real good in potato bread, potato soup, topping for turkey pot pie, etc.)
    Ken

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Seth Howard,[p]That's a coincidence. I always get asked to my killer mashed potatoes every year, also. How do you make yours?

• DavidR,
    I boil them to fork tender, drain, smash by hand, then i start to slowly mix in 1/2 & 1/2, butter and sour cream. Salt and pepper as needed, and there you have it. Oh yeah, a little paprika over the top when done. How about you? how do you do yours?

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Seth Howard, since I always have about 5 to 10 people come over, I find that a 5 lb. bag works very nice, because I get a kick out of making too much. Works out real nice for leftovers. I boil them fork tender and drain, and let them dry out a few minutes before I start to hand mash roughly before adding any ingredients in order to eliminate lumps. Then, while continuing to mash, I add a stick of real butter, 8 ounces of cream cheese, and a cup of sour cream, and mix until smooth. I add either half & half, or evaporated milk if it's too thick or to make it more fluffy. Then I salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes, on request, I'll fold in about about a half cup of chives or chopped green onions.[p]Try some cream cheese this time around. If you think people are raving about your potatoes now? . . hehe