Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eggcessories

NoobEgger
NoobEgger Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now I have been doing a little research on eggcessories and I'm not sure what I'm gonna need since I haven't even cooked on an egg yet. I have an XL which I will pick up in the morning and be ready for this weekend when I am off :cheer: . I plan on doing lots of everything, and the postings here gave me lots of ideas, but still what do I need? I already ordered a plate setter and cast iron grate, what else do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

Russell

Comments

• "what else do you guys recommend?"

a new gasket.
    go ahead and read the posts about what to do. dont be suprised or upset, it can be fixed.
    just wanted to get that out there, i'm sure there will be other recomendations to follow.
  • Digital thermometer
    ash tool
    digi II (for the long cooks)
    starter cubes, electric starter, torch
    drip trays
    foil
    grate extender
    bottle opener
    don't forget the lump

All is not needed, but you probably will end up getting most of these. Make sure your first several cooks are at a lower temperature to break in your gasket. The last thing you want is to melt it. You'll love this cooker.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    there are a couple of different options for indirect cooking. I have the BGE brand platesetter that i got when i bought the xl. I recently got and extended grid set up that TJV on the forum makes for the eggs. he recently changed the name and i think his website so maybe someone will chime in with the new info for you. this set up allows 2 potential levels of cooking and a different option for indirect cooking which i like alot and makes the xl alot more versatile. As mentioned about the gasket, there have been some problems with people burning up their gasket or the adhesive letting go during high temp cooks. I have not had a problem with mine but it is so seasoned now that i do have leaks but havent considered changing it yet. seems that it is best to do several low and slow cooks where you dont get the temp above 400 degrees which will help harden and season the gasket making it a little less vulnerable to melting during pizza cooks or steak searing episodes. good luck
  • Is the place your talking about eggcessories.com? Its the site with the Woo2 and other custom rigs for the Big Green Egg.
  • thanks alot

Russell
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    A pizza stone is a must. and I have an extra set of feet that I use a lot too. When i did the apple pie last night I did not have my plate setter, it is in the camper :( so I did the grate, then three feet then the pizza stone and then the feet of my small to set the pie pan on. worked perfect. I just did not want the bottom of the pan sitting on the pizza stone so no hot spots for the crust.
  • You're already getting a plate setter, so I would say that regardless of what you will be cooking, you will find the following helpful if not important:

Ash tool
    Thermapen
    welder's gloves (good for working at nuclear temps, removing hot platesetters, etc)
    raised grid- for chicken parts (you can easily make your own)
    Fire starter - I use 2 paper towels drizzled with cooking oil. to get started you could just get a box of starters.
    Grid lifter -I use a pair of adjustable pliers- works great.

beyond that, the eggcessories you want will depend on what you want to cook (pizza stone? Wok ring/spider?), how you're set up (need a light? a pit minder?), etc.
  • I just received my adjustable rig and there was a note with the shipment that said eggaccessories.com is now www.CeramicGrillStore.com. I looked at the site and pretty nice; looks like they are doing a nice job of updating the old eggaccessories.com site. By the way can't wait to use the adjustable rig setup.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    You will need a wall shelf unit (or two)to hold all of your new accessories & lump.....believe me you will need them B)