Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NON-smoked (flavor) THANKSGIVING DAY TURKEY

Gordy
Gordy Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife is doubting the ability of Humpty to produce a traditional tasting Thanksgiving Day turkey. She has it in her mind that ole Tom will come out good but smoked (which she loves - but not on Thanksgiving Day). I have told her that I will not use any additional wood chips, wine, etc. and that it will be great - more moist than from the oven because of the ceramic/ heat of BGE. I plan on doing an indirect cook 325-350 as previously posted - 15 -18 minutes per pound with polder in the boob.
Happy Thanksgiving to all
Thanks all,
Gordy <><

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Gordy,[p]Maybe there'll be a northerly wind tomorrow so I can stand out on the front porch, nose in the air, and smell that "just like oven-roasted" bird.[p]Happy T-Day from 6 miles south of you,
    Puj

• Gordy,[p] For added insurance, you might want to empty out any lump (and old chips and charred grease) that is in there now and do the turkey with a fresh batch of lump . . .[p]Mike
  • Gordy,
    My buddy back east had the same desire last year and this is what he suggests; fire up the Egg, get it to proper temp and let it smoke out or burn at that temp for about 20 minutes. This allows the smoke to go clear therefore killing most of the smoke flavor. Good luck and good eating.