Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long at temp for pulled pork?

TBQue
TBQue Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long does the pulled pork stay at 200 degrees on the egg before it comes off?

Also, do I need to put a pan of some liquid underneath? I am cooking 2 butts 8 lbs each tomorrow.

Comments

• 13.5 seconds.

Just kidding, cook until your thermo reads 200 and then remove it from the grill. It's done.

Raise your drip pan slightly off the plate setter and leave it dry. The fat will render and drip in and allow your egg to stay somewhat clean. By raising it slightly you reduce the risk of it burning and smoking wildly.
  • check this out

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html

Basic instructions:
    Dome temp 250
    Plate setter legs up
    Aluminum pan to catch drippings
    Grate
    Butt with fat cap down my preference
    cook to 190-200 degrees
  • oops...
    post was for tmbgator2 ;)
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    do you have a platesetter for indirect? i use my platesetter legs up with my drip pan sitting on the little green egg feet and i pour the pan half full of apple juice. you really dont need it for moisture because the egg retains the moisture by design but i just do it to keep the fat from burning in the drip pan and making acrid smoke. I pull mine at about 195 if i can catch them there, wrap in heavy duty foil and then put in a cooler for a couple of hours till im ready to pull them. they will go up in temp another 5 degrees at least if you pull them, wrap them and get them in the cooler quick with a towel on bottom and then one layed on top of the butts.
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    I do have a plate setter. I did a butt a few weeks ago with just a drip pan no liquid. It did not pull so well but I think it's because I didnt cook it long enough. I do not have a probe thermometer so I guessed on the time ( 1 and half hours per pound). I am getting a probe tomorrow so I will not make the same mistake. I plan on going 16 hours on this one. I have 2 that I am going to cook one 8 lbs and 1 7 lbs. I plan cooking 225 for 2 hours per lb.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I would just use a cheep temp taker till I saved enough for a theropen from Molly on here. I love mine and don't cook with out it any more. it takes all the guess work out. even if I am cooking a lot of something you can take each one off at prime temp and not worry.
  • Forgive me if I've made the wrong assumption. After I re-read your post, it occurred to me that you might be thinking that you'll set your dome temperature at 200°, and your question asks how long you should plan on cooking at that temperature. If so, don't. Set it up with a dome temp of 250°. Plan on it taking about 1-1/2 to 2 hours per lb. of cold meat. Once the internal temperature of the roast reaches 200°, you're finished. Then wrap it, let it rest, then pull it appart, as has already been suggested. Make sure there's space between the two roasts or it'll take a lot more time since it will act like one big roast if they're touching.

Sorry if I made the wrong assumption, but just in case. Have fun. Butts are very forgiving. They'll taste great!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    that's what i thought he was asking, too. you're righj,dome at 250, internal temp to 200.

...two butts touching won't really have an effect, even crammed together. even four crammed together doesn't have much of an effect on time. fishless i think found that three or four cold butts going on at once would drag out the cook maybe an hour or so, but only because that much cold meat acted as a heat sink and it took a while to allow the egg to return to 250.

but any butt cook can vary an hour compared to the next, so even then it's hard to say.

even if touching, the butts will separate quickly as they shrink.

a superloaded egg will take longer sometimes just because airflow is restricted.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    As others have said have the dome temp at 250 and cook until the internal temp of the butt is 190-200 degrees....double wrap in foil and wrap in towels in a cooler for at least 1 hour...pull when you are ready... :P