Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To stuff or not to stuff ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know most folks prefer not to stuff turkeys on the egg but I would like anyones thought on this as I'm a big stuffing fan.How long would it take to cook a 15 lbs stuffed bird on the egg at 300-350?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Q-BALL,
    I'm a stuffing fan too, but don't like putting it in the bird - too much opportunity for "wee beasties" to multiply in a low-temp environment containing eggs. I'm planning on an indirect setup, with a dish of stuffing below an empty bird to catch all the yummy drippings.
    Ken

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Your are right on the mark, wonderful way to do stuffing. I have never understood why anyone would want to put "the stuffing" in a bird, veggies, herbs and aromatics yes, but "stufing...dressing" never..nde

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Strmn2smoke,
    I wish my Mother was alive to cook one more of her wonderful oven cooked birds with stuffing. We always had our stuffing in the bird. Please note, the stuffing was pretty well cooked before being put in the bird, no problem ever with the bugs. Maybe if one is trying to fully cook raw stuffing in the bird a problem may arise or if they don't bring it to proper temp. Maybe just another way of being brought up.[p]A happy holiday to ya,[p]New Bob

• Strmn2Smoke
    Options
    New Bob,
    I was reared among southern cooks and they all "stuffed" the bird. When I started cooking @ age 9, I did not like the texture of the "stuffing", to me it was more like "steamed". I much prefer the texture from "baked"...if we all liked the same thing there would not be enough to go around!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving and good eating to you and yours..nde

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Strmn2smoke,
    I totally agree, thanks the holiday wish. (Guess I like steamed, maybe it's a west coast thing??? ÖÖÖ)[p]
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Q-BALL,
    The first and only time I did a stuffed bird on my Egg it was horrible, the turkey was good but smoke and stuffing are two flavors I definitley don't want to mix again. Now we buy loose turkey wings and cover the stuffing with them while it cooks in the oven to get some of the flavor. Also, I'll drizzle some of the drippings from the cutting board over the stuffing after I carve the bird.[p]Good Luck,
    C~Q

• Citizen Q,thanks for the tip I'll try the wings in the oven on top of the stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving.