Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who trims spare ribs?

Options
AzScott
AzScott Posts: 309
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had ribs from 2 different bbq places this week and the menu always has "pork ribs", not St. Luis Style or Babybacks. Maybe I've never noticed back home since I rarely order ribs but neither time have the pork ribs been trimmed or had the membrane removed. Is this normal in most places and am I just showing my sheltered bbq restaurant rib eating experience? Do most people trim their spare ribs? I always have and made sausage with the trimmed peices.

Comments

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    i recently have stopped trimming my spare ribs and cook them whole. there is a local bbq joint here in town that doesnt trim theirs and i have seen them untrimmed at other places. My wife prefers them untrimmed and likes to knaw on the large rib with the extra meat hanging on one end.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    haha, i guess thats what happens when you are posting this late. I just re-read that and it didnt sound too good. I cant wait till tommorow
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I usually don't trim them unless there is something I know I'm going to do with the trimmed pieces right away. They present a lot nicer, but it's a lot of meat going to waste, IMO.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I usaually trim, just because I have a medium egg, and I think I can fit more ribs on it by doing so. There's a flap of meat which transverses diagonally across the bone side of a spare...I've been told it's the remains of the pig's diaphram muscle. I just can't make myself leave that on, but I can leave the rest.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I think ribs are alot like steak choices. Bbacks are like tenderloins.....can do alot with presentation and they are tender but short on flavor when compared to other ribs. ST. Louis style is like the ribeye....little more work to eat but better flavor over bbacks and can be tender enough when cooked right. Spares are like the T bone or Porterhouse....just the size for most folks makes them consider other cuts and need to be cooked by experienced folks to gain true flavor and tenderness.

Just a thought. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Most BBQ places I have been to do not remove the membrane. Also, most trim the ribs. I trim my ribs and remove the membrane. The trimmings I cook along with the ribs and put into my Dinosaur BBQ Beans along with some sausage.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    That flap meat is full of win- and is done just in time for a midcook snack.

Big T
  • Inksmyth
    Options
    I have never trimmed ribs. Also I have never had ribs from a BBQ shack that have been trimmed or membrane removed. Personally, I like the taste and texture of the membrane but have removed it recently on advice of this forum. I like it removed from babybacks but think I will leave it on for spares.
  • Slotmercenary
    Options
    Greetings,
    having been owner/operator of food establishments in the past, it comes down to bulk or presentation . when i did buffet style set ups it was the whole rib when it was an ala cart type set up it was a trimmed rack or bb's for presentation and appearance purposes.
    There is a difference in buying a "slab or rack" vs a rib "dinner or platter" which is definetly reflected in the pricing differences of both.
    just my 2 cents.
    hope it may help.