Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on cooking huge # of chicken breasts?

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

Wanted to get opinions on the best way to do this ...

My wife is cooking a lunch for 300 people on Saturday. One of her dishes will involve chicken breasts, and I've been tagged with preparing 100 pounds of them.

I'm going to do them the day before, as they are supposed to be served cold in the recipe she's using. I've been debating the best way to cook these to minimize the cooking time, while avoiding the risk of badly drying them out.

I figured there were a few paths to take:

1) Indirect, low temperature (300ish): Has the advantage of being able to use multiple grids, and probably has the least risk of drying out. However, will have the longest cooking time.

2) Indirect, high temperature (450ish): Still can use multiple grids, and can cook faster, but might dry out the meat.

3) Direct, low temperature: May cook faster than indirect low, and would give the meat a better flavor, I think. However, limited to one rack, and direct exposure to the flame could dry them out.

4) Direct, high temperature: Fastest cooking method, but most likely to dry out.

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Thats a whole lotta chicken.
    IMHO, BGE's are more about quality than quantity, and maybe you should consider other alternatives.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    I would do one grid direct, probably raised. On a large you can get about 10-15 breast on at a time, and shouldn't take but about 10-15 min a batch. Highly recommend a THERMAPEN!!! It will take a while, but pull them at 150 and you will be fine.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would cook them hot fast direct and pull them at the correct temp, for me 162 degrees internal. dryness isnt because of the cooking temp, its the internal temp. for instance, turkey cooked at 220 is so moist that sometimes the texture is sticky wet gum like, a reason i roast them more than low and slow them. same with chicken. now if you took that hot cooked breast off thge egg at 170 its going to rise in temp to 180 and be much drier. i would cook a couple tonight before the big cook to get your timing right. what about the skin, will she be removing it after the cook, too low a temp and it turns to rubber, too high a temp and you get some charring. i would cook raised grill at 375/400 direct, or crank it up for an inderect cook to 450, maybe even a little higher depending on your test cook. all that said i have more experience with low and slow thighs, who likes white meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    posted in wrong spot.
  • Buckethead
    Options
    Depends on how you are going to use the finished product. You may want to do a quick char and finish in the oven for time and convenience. Are you going to dice, or strip the breast? Are you going to cover it in a sauce? Much depends on the way the wife plans on her presentation. But I would cook it to 165 internal temp for food safety concerns.
    Doug
  • Brine the breasts or go to Sam's club and buy a case (much cheaper by the case) of the Tyson boneless skinless breasts (these already have broth added no brining needed). I cook up cases of these all the time probably cooked over 2,000# over the last few years. Cook at around 300f dome and don't go over 165f internal temp. They will be great and moist the next day. If using a drip pan (with place setter) put a little water in it so the grease does not go black (and bad smelling) on you. If you need char cook direct.
  • emilluca
    Options
    Brine them they will always stay juicy and flavorfull. 1 cup of salt to a gallom of water for 12 hours. Rinse well and cook with seasoning of choice. I like lemon/pepper seasoning on poultry.
    Pull at 165 and let them finish on there own before cooling.
  • Just curious what finishing a boneless skinless breast needs at 165f? They are actually fully cooked before they get to 165f and the only reason to go that high is to avoid liability issues. It's ok for a breast to be soft, tender and juicy it does not have to resemble white rubber. Make sure you calibrate your thermometer (Thermapen is best.) Just my opinion as a pro pitmaster who has been around Q since the 60's.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    Bone in? I would load up as many as I can on the main grate and an extended grate and cook indirect @ 325 - 350 untill several of them on the bottom towards the center are cooked thouroughly. I'd keep the skin on if possible and use very little to no smoke. I would also make sure to still allow airflow to go from the bottom to the top vent. You're going to spend some time doing this but then again, most ways other than a large commercial oven or massive grill would allow you to do it all in one shot.

What is she making?
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    What emiluca said.

If you brine, the breasts will be much more tolerant of overcooking without coming out dry. A 5-gallon food-grade plastic bucket is very useful for this. Just make sure it fits in your refrigerator.

I also agree with the 1 cup/gallon/12 hrs formula. You can do it quicker with more salt if you want. You can also use other flavorings in the brine if you want (sugar, herbs, etc.). Garlic in brine isn't good; it tends to cancel other flavors.
  • ChitownBBQ
    Options
    You don't mention skin on or off, or boneless or not, but I'm going to assume boneless/skinless given a 'cold' application.

I find the egg to be the most awesome baking device ever for keeping moisture in so I'd go medium temp (300ish) with a drip pan and let 'em come up to whatever temp you're comfortable with - I'd probabl shoot for 155 to 160 ish.

You also didn't mention if they will be seasoned or marinated (before or after grilling), but that wouldn't necessarily change the time & temp I'd use, but it might change wood choice. For example, if they were just going to be cut plain on a ceasar salad with no other seasoning, then I'd toss on a good bunch of apple or pecan to make it a nice 'smoked chicken ceasar' rather than plain, white meat.

Good luck with that.

;)