Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Active Thread First"

Options
stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i was always a fan of the old forum format, because you could see entire threads at once, and scroll down quickly, seeing which thread grew or was most active.

but i finally tried out the "Active Thread First" option, and it really has become my preferred way to view this forum. It used to be that once something moved off the first page, it was gone forever, because i never bothered to click back 2,3,4 pages.

I clicked "Active Thread First" and now, whenever someone posts to a thread, that thread moves to the top of the list. New postings (someone starting a thread i mean), pop in at the top too, so you don't miss new stuff.

i dunno. try it. i gave it a week or two, and i think it's much better. what's a real bonus is that someone will invariably scroll through pages of posts and post a response to an old thrwad, and it will pop back to the top by virtue of their new response. so interesting old stuff can get resurrected, even after you've forgotten about it.

try it, FWIW
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Been using it for a couple months and couldn't agree more. It is the best way to keep up with what's going on.

One thing I notice is that different views seem to cause either a) people posting replies in the wrong place; or b) replies in the proper place being displayed under the wrong message.

I use classic view, and there are some users whose replies to posts are almost always displayed under a message that is not the one they are replying to. It is in the correct thread, but not under the correct message. For example, in a thread about widgets I will ask a question, stike will ask a question, and the answer to mine will be under stike's post , and then the answer to stike's post will be under the answer to mine. (I hope that made sense in my coffee deprived state)

Is anyone else seeing this?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
  • kolbdriver
    Options
    Rod, Can you say that again? :blink:
  • stike
    Options
    once in a while i will read all the posts in a thread and then have a brane-furt and post to the ORIGINAL question while still open in someone else's response. i think it's more human-error than anything when responses show up under the wrong post.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That sounds good. Especially when you have limited viewing time. I am really having a hard time finding where to set this though. Any chance you can provide some enlightenment on how I might do this???

One thing cool, I learned about 5 other things while I was looking for Active Thread First!

Thanks and Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    good idea stike I'm going to give that a try.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I done found it! Woohoo!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    Options
    DOH! took me a few seconds too long to do this for you.

I remember too that i'm on the Beta site. don't know if that makes a diff.

newestfirst.jpg
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Dang. You saved a screen shot, slapped it into photoshop and used your pressure sensitive stylus??

I'm impressed. Much appreciate your help buddy.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    Options
    i really hope you AREN'T impressed. hahaha

just send me a few cases of rub and we'll call it even!

hahaha
    Carey wants to get a bus together for a waldorf trip next year. Will you volunteer to step between us and all the forum oldtimers that want to kick our collective ^sses? Seems we need protection....
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    I won't step between anyone in a physical way, but I do a pretty good job as mediator ;-)

Cool to hear we might be getting a busload of New Englanders!

Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • stike
    Options
    'drunken' New Englanders
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    as long as you load up the storage bins with 'pearls'!!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    one thing ive found with active thread first is that someone posts to a thread that six months old and it comes up to the top, after several times your looking at a thread thats 97 replys long and dont really remember whats going on unless you read through it again. and then you get an email because you didnt answer someones reply from a cook you did so long ago that you dont even need an answer anymore and your not looking for one. and sometimes those emailers get pissed you didnt respond. i posted a question on an atv forum about 8 months ago about what tires for ice and snow would be best, and got my arse chewed out in an email in august for not keeping up with that post, the emailer waited a couple days in august before flipping out. maybe theres a way to lock out a thread after so many days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. the negative is when a thread that is really old and long pops up, and you can't tell which is the new reply. if it's a thread i am interested in, i just go to "last 25", and i can see which is the new one.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    Funny, I left the house about 9:30 this morning and I had just found the Active Thread First button and started using it this morning. I knew I had seen it before but hadn't looked for it in a while. I think that is what I will continue to use myself.
  • Firestarter21
    Options
    What happens is people use the flat view, which I preferred for some time. You just scroll and read all the post, you sometimes get confused because it organizes by time of reply vs. who you are replying to. I try to click on the right message to reply to so that it makes sense to those viewing the thread with the classic view.
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I switch back and forth. If I've been away from the forum for a while (as evidenced by beads of sweat and a slight tremor :)) I go to Newest Thread to get caught up on (duh) new threads. Then I switch to Active Thread. I also switch between Flat View and Threaded View - I'm usually in Flat, but switch to Threaded if I need to make sense of who responded to what.
  • stike
    Options
    and here i sit thinking i 'discovered' something new. hahahaha