Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I use a probe?

Options
TBQue
TBQue Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first overnight with two 8 lb butts. I need to get a probe thermometer. How I place the probe and what is the best thermometer to get?

Comments

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    a Stoker is the way to go!
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    A Stoker might be the way to go, but does cost quite a bit more than a Maverick ET-73. The Et-73 does what you asked about, the Stoker provides a powered air blower that maintains the egg's temperature at a given temp.
    With the et-73 one probe is place in the meat and the other probe is placed in the egg to monitor egg temp. Hope this helps.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I don't use a stick-and-stay type and I can't say which cable thermometer is "best". I have owned both Tru-Temp and Polder and have been happy with each.

I don't even stick my butts and briskets until at least the guesstimated halfway point has been reached, but to answer your question about placement, stay away from the bone and pockets of fat. In this cross section of a butt, notice the flat side of the bone, and it's relationship to the fat cap side of the butt. I like to put my thermometer in the larger egg shaped muscle.

PorkBone.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    You have better get up and check your temp every two hours. I can aleady see the next post.

Mike
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I have done at least 6 over night cooks and knock on wood have never had my fire go out on me. Of course with that said I have two butts to cook this weekend :blink:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    OH, sooo tempting. :)