Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket seasoning

Tennisbum
Tennisbum Posts: 228
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need some idea of how many low temps cooks it takes to break in the gasket. Thanks in advance
gp

Comments

• I keep touting I am not a believer in break in/curing.

However, I also am of the belief why push the limits if one doesn't need to.

My reasoning is after loosing 2 gaskets on my large, last year and before these current problems.

I wanted to make sure I "cured" my gasket/adhesive. I had 40 cooks under 400° - 450°. The next cook was higher temp and I lost the gasket (adhesive actually).

A little further explanation, I had a poor dome alignment where the failure happened. I also had a cast iron dutch oven close to the gasket area.

I consider my first gasket loss my fault - BGE stood up to the bar and helped me. My second loss, I think alignment problems. The third explained above.

My last felt gasket has been on over a year now. However, it is worn out. Natural causes and a lot of great food.

I am going to replace it with nomex.

I have no answer to your question.

Watch the alignment, be safe and don't go nuclear for a while, be careful with pizza stones, dutch ovens, cast iron skillets and other furniture that are close to the gasket.

You should be fine.

GG
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    I am sorry but I have owned BGE's for 17 years and just why in the HELL do you need to season a gasket? If they don't work the first time they are just not right. Sorry but I believe that. I have replaced all my gaskets with Rutlands. I know it is not politically correct here, but it works for me. Perfect seal every time and I am HAPPY!
  • Thank you for the response and my prayers and positive thoughts go out to you and your grandson.
  • MAC,

Not sure if your post was in response to my post or Tennisbum's.

I don't fully agree with 'cure' or 'break-in' of the gasket. But on the other hand why push it!

I am glad you have had great success for 17 years. I wish I and others were as fortunate. However, I and apparently others have not had as good fortune.

In just over a year and a half, I have had 6 gasket failures on 2 eggs. Some of the failures were clearly my fault and others required some egg part replacement (dome & base) - so for me the problem is real.

For some folk this is a real problem and very frustrating.

What I shared in my posts is completly accurate, stike keeps me from embellishing :)

I am not going to go into this very deep as it was beat to death last year... I was told by a BGE employee not to use Rutland due to serious health hazards. Several folks tried to confirm this with Rutland however, Rutland did not answer direct questions.

For me I am going to stick with BGE Nomex, for now.

Respectfully, Kent
  • Thank you for your thoughts and concern.

Happy to help you if needed. As of late it seems there has been a 'rash' of gasket issues. Those of us affected just need to get them replaced and on with cooking.

I think I read a post below from stike where he used high temp silicone with rutland gasket.

I am going to try the 3M 77/Nomex. I just want to see if that combination works. If that fails then I will pick up the high temp silicone under the Nomex.

Kent
  • tennisbum-

I received a large from my wife as a BD gift a few months ago. I'd heard of the BGE, seen a couple in action & tasted the food, and had been a long time Weber kettle user. What I hadn't heard of was this forum. The first cook I did was 650+ degree steak sear. I just loved that I could get that baby up to such a high temp so easily. I knew by looking at the gasket that the inside edge would be subjected to that high heat but I just figured that's just the way it's supposed to be. My gasket's never even been close to being loose. I have to agree with the others. Either it'll fall off or it won't. No need to baby it. If you're worried just get a spare to have on hand just in case. I have a feeling I won't need to replace mine for quite a while.
    Maybe I got lucky. Good luck to you.

jeff
  • all -

BTW - I should have said I have a great wife & absolutely love my BGE. I've always been the cook between us & now she has the added benefit of very few dishes to wash after a great meal. We're both lucky. ;)

jeff
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    I will probably get zotted here but this is just my opinion and not that of BGE or anyone else. But I have been doing this for 17 years. I first replaced my gasket with rutlands gasket marerial with the gasket cement. Well that sucked. It did not stay on long for me. Then I went with the Rutland material with the tape back. I used it on the upper and bottom. I bought it from an unnamed souce. But you know who I am talking about.

There are so many lawyers out there that would love to sue sombody's butt off for using fiberglss that everybody is parinoid. Just think of the asbestos thaang. All the lawyers got rich and no one got relief. And just maybe there was no problem to begin with.

So in 20 years of making BGe's if they can not make a gasket that works I will use something that WILL.

Not knocking the cooker just the gasket. But they have been this way for a long time and with other improvements too.
  • LOL... I am one of those asbestos/fiberglass worriers.

If we are on the same track, the unnamed source helped get mine also, which I have always very much appreciated the help given me.

I then learned of the Rutland warning and decided not to use it. Went back to the BGE felt solution.

Your rutland comment is interesting. I have now seen two posts where the rutland has failed. First time I have ever heard that other than someone not using enough cement or not applying propery.

There sure are a lot of rutland installs out there. Once can see them in a lot of pictures.

Several times I have thought to heck with it and was about to install the rutland. Cotronics also has a high temp gasket material that seems to be working.

I am going to give the BGE Nomex a try as it sounds from other forum members that it is working well - once installed with 3M 77.

If that fails there are another couple of ideas.

Thanks for your post MAC.

Kent
  • Are you using Rutlands on dome and bottom? I've got one on the bottom, tried going "topless", then put felt on the top when I couldn't get a good seal. If the felt one fails in a short time, I will replace it w/ a Rutland also. Not sure what the perceived health hazard w/ fiberglass is, but it seems strange to worry about a possible health risk and yet continue to eat meat cooked over a flame (a known carcinogen), not to mention the other inherent health risks that come with a diet consisting of lots of red meat. Heart disease will kill you just as dead as cancer.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think it's a bit of a myth, frankly. seems that the run of failing gaskets was due to BAD gaskets, not that people aren't breaking them in.

like a few others here, i lit my brand new egg and went right into steaks at 700. no issues. i think i eventually replaced my gasket, but not because it fell off, just because it got gunked and flattened.

still. why tempt fate, right? if you can, stick to 450 max for the first, i dunno, 5 cooks?

problem is that i think we are lumping gasket failures into one type of category. the old ones (any wool felt one, actually) would melt if held at 800 or so for a loooong time (like opening vents and letting it burn out in order to clean it). not that the gasket melts at 800 9it melts at 1100 or so), but that when you GRILL is at 800, the gasses can be 1200 or more at gasket level, not to mention the radiant temp from the coals.

the more recent spate of gasket failures have been more about adhesive failure. specifically, the (i think double-sided) adhesive tape that sits between the gasket and the rim. i can't help but think that the older gaskets were cemented into place maybe (rather than with that cello/tape kind of adhesive). a bucnh ran thru the production line, and so they are sitting in distributor warehouses intermingled with 'normal' gaskets maybe. depending how fast your distributor rotates stock, you could end up with a bad gasket maybe even a coupla years from now. sitting in the back corner... someone buys it in 2010, etc.

long story not-so-short, if it fails, your dealer should handle it. if they don't BGE corporate will trip over themselves to make it right.

we get postcards every now and then from the car dealer telling us about a recall, and to bring the car in for a fix. it's like that. 'cept maybe BGE can;t track down the bum gaskets.

would be good if the registration was tied to a production number and they could track things like this. maybe they can. i don't think they do, though....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    i hear you about the dire warnings of doom and destruction.

just wait until people start needing to pay huge cash to remove pink fiberglass insulation from your house in 20 years because it's a "hazardous material"..they now have paint with 50 year guarantees. it's got nanoparticles in it. those will be the next hazardous material. just wait....

oxygen is a hazardous material for crying out loud.

like you said, if you want to be safe grilling on an egg, lose the gasket, stop using charcoal, and don't cook over 200 degrees. in fact, just eat raw vegetables.

we've become a nation of pansies. everyone looking for an excuse or a perceived wrong.

(pardon me. sorry for the rant everyone!)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    it may be safer to blanch those raw vegatables first.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    all that boiling water? are you a COMPLETE idiot, or just a half-way idiot?!?!?!

heating the water means the kids could get burned. plus, there's all the electricity going to the burner. the wires in my house are old. if i convert to gas, i could have an explosion. i really am frozen by fear.

tell you what. you fix dinner tonight, it's too dangerous for me to do it, i'll bring the whole family.

thinking tofu, gently warmed in a bath of tepid springwater.
  • fishlessman
    driving to work today i was behind a toyata prius with a liscense plate that said lvbngrn, great marketing ploy. i wonder how much polluting it took to manufacture that car, how much it will take to dispose of the car, how much damage breathing battery fumes from a monster lithium battery will cause, how bad lithium probably is, how much the cleanup by clean harbors will cost if its in an accident, how many cars will she own compared to me with my 20 year old dodge.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    don't get me started on the bumper-sticker activists. hahaha
  • Wondering why MAC changed his original gasket to a Rutland? (if there are no problems with the original). :whistle:
  • stike
    if you heat a wool felt gasket to 1100 or so it will melt together. not 1100 dome, but 1100 at the gasket, whether due to direct exposure, or hot gasses leaking out a gap, etc.

that's why sometimes you hear of lids sticking together. the rutland doesn't melt, but it isn't approved for use around food (by Rutland, the manufacturer), and BGE does not want us using them.

there are a lot of folks here with them, but it's a no-no as far as BGE goes.
  • fishlessman
    your working too hard with the gasket issue. just set your dome as close as you can to minimize the space and get to cooking. ive got a huge gap, no gasket and can cook jerkey in the 140 degree dome range, i just have to plan a jerkey temp on nonwindy days as i live on the windy side of the lake or lay a nonglued gasket on the lip. it holds low and slow temps just fine. an egg leaking smoke doesnt hurt a thing, its a smoker, its supposed to smoke. temp can be controled by air in only with the bottom vent, it doesnt really matter if its venting at the lip or daisy, you can even take the daisy completely off and control a low and slow
    fukahwee maine

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    If you take the family to his place for dinner, you are risking your life on the highway. Please be careful and don't drive over 25 mph on those New England roads, and put on your snow tires and chains first just in case it snows. And be careful with the tofu - the soybeans might have had pesticides on them.