Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

3/1/1.5 Rib Question??

RedpigRedpig Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my first BGE (large) yesterday and I'm smoking some ribs now. When I opened the lid to turn them it looked like some were getting more heat that others. I am flipping/turning. Should I be concerned or is this normal? By the way, I really like my egg. My wife thinks it's weird looking!

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    RedPig,
    Sounds normal to me. I am also doing ribs and I have flipped and rotated them once. You didn't mention what method you were using but they all benefit from a flip. [p]Tim

• RedpigRedpig Posts: 35
    Tim M,
    I'm using indirect. I have firebricks under the drip pan, but the pan may be too small (8x8). I hope it will be alright. Maybe should have tried something easier for the 1st time with the BGE. Thanks for the fast response.

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Redpig,[p]You'll be OK. My 1st rack of ribs were not the best I have done, but they sure were better than anything I did on my old gas grill or on a Webber - BY FAR BETTER! Try to get your meat between the bone temp to 180-190 and you will be really happy with the results. Enjoy![p]What temp are you cooking at? Mine are indirect at 300°.[p]Tim
  • RRPRRP Posts: 12,053
    Redpig,
    baby backs on here too - same 3/1/1.5 method, however you didn't mention your temp - also did you calibrate your dome thermometer??? I'm locked on 250°. It's a possibility that using fire brick plus a pan with liquid in it you'll need more time to cook - as that's a lot of deflecting. BTW welcome to the BGE cult!

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    RedPig,your ribs will probably be about perfect.[p]Next time for a drip pan, tear off a piece of HD foil - use a piece of 8.5 x 11 inch paper as a guide and merely fold up the sides of the foil - you'll end up with a nice drip pan that you can merely toss when dinner is done and it will fit perfectly on the two HZ fire bricks![p]Life is GOOD! :~}[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
    Tim M,
    Smoking at 250. I think I'm using GFW's method (3/1/1.5). I got it off the forum. I just finished taking them out of the foil. The aroma is unreal. WOW! They are all looking really good. I hope I'm not disappointed with the results. My family is anxious to try them.

RRP,
    Temp is constant 250. I also checked the therm in boiling water with a polder for reference. I've been told to pull them at 180-190 between the bones. I'm having a blast with my new BGE. I've got a stainless steel one that I made but it doesn't come close to the BGE. I can't believe how fast it came up to temp and it hasn't changed much in over 3 hours. My old one had to be nursed constantly to keep it at temp.I really like this website too. It's reassuring to know if I have a problem help is only a click away!