Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3/1/1.5 Rib Question??

Options
Redpig
Redpig Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought my first BGE (large) yesterday and I'm smoking some ribs now. When I opened the lid to turn them it looked like some were getting more heat that others. I am flipping/turning. Should I be concerned or is this normal? By the way, I really like my egg. My wife thinks it's weird looking!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    RedPig,
    Sounds normal to me. I am also doing ribs and I have flipped and rotated them once. You didn't mention what method you were using but they all benefit from a flip. [p]Tim

• Redpig
    Options
    Tim M,
    I'm using indirect. I have firebricks under the drip pan, but the pan may be too small (8x8). I hope it will be alright. Maybe should have tried something easier for the 1st time with the BGE. Thanks for the fast response.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Redpig,[p]You'll be OK. My 1st rack of ribs were not the best I have done, but they sure were better than anything I did on my old gas grill or on a Webber - BY FAR BETTER! Try to get your meat between the bone temp to 180-190 and you will be really happy with the results. Enjoy![p]What temp are you cooking at? Mine are indirect at 300°.[p]Tim
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Redpig,
    baby backs on here too - same 3/1/1.5 method, however you didn't mention your temp - also did you calibrate your dome thermometer??? I'm locked on 250°. It's a possibility that using fire brick plus a pan with liquid in it you'll need more time to cook - as that's a lot of deflecting. BTW welcome to the BGE cult!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    RedPig,your ribs will probably be about perfect.[p]Next time for a drip pan, tear off a piece of HD foil - use a piece of 8.5 x 11 inch paper as a guide and merely fold up the sides of the foil - you'll end up with a nice drip pan that you can merely toss when dinner is done and it will fit perfectly on the two HZ fire bricks![p]Life is GOOD! :~}[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Redpig
    Options
    Tim M,
    Smoking at 250. I think I'm using GFW's method (3/1/1.5). I got it off the forum. I just finished taking them out of the foil. The aroma is unreal. WOW! They are all looking really good. I hope I'm not disappointed with the results. My family is anxious to try them.

• Redpig
    Options
    RRP,
    Temp is constant 250. I also checked the therm in boiling water with a polder for reference. I've been told to pull them at 180-190 between the bones. I'm having a blast with my new BGE. I've got a stainless steel one that I made but it doesn't come close to the BGE. I can't believe how fast it came up to temp and it hasn't changed much in over 3 hours. My old one had to be nursed constantly to keep it at temp.I really like this website too. It's reassuring to know if I have a problem help is only a click away!