Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My rib test-- Arthur Bryants Vs. Famous Daves

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked up some spare ribs Saturday with Pecan Rub and Dizzy Dust combo on both slabs. When it came time to sauce I tried two sauces. One was Arthur Bryants Rich and Spicy and the other was Famous Daves Rich and Sassy. Our favorite was clearly the Famous Daves. It just had a richer taste to it. A little bit sweeter than the Arthur Bryants. It was more of a sauce that Im use to eating. Dont get me wrong... the Arthur Bryants got ate, but I liked the Famous Daves better. Heres some pics.

Few hours in
IMG_4232.jpg

Sauced and ready. Darker is Famous Daves.
IMG_4233.jpg
IMG_4234.jpg

Comments

• Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Glad to hear someone else likes that sauce. I figured around here that would get me pegged for a city slicker.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    One of the better sauces Ive had my friend. Between that and Sweet Baby Rays. I got a quart of the Blues Hog on the way that everyone likes. Im gonna give it a whirl.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    great lookin ribs egg...you didn say..how were they?
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    They were great Eggtucky. I really loved the Famous Daves. The others were good but not my pref. You ever had Blues Hog?
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Oh boy..don't get me going here. I'd say them's fighting words...till you said it was Arthurs rich and spicy (or whatever) sauce. There is only one Arthur Bryan'ts sauce...and that is their original. They came out with that fancy crap sauce to get some of the no Q folks to like it....but it ain't Q imo. I live in KC and was weened on the stuff. AB's is NOT a sweet sauce...period. Pepper and vinegar. Some folks love it...and the rest are chumps :P NOW...start talkin' badly about their original sauce...and I'll have to get crack eggs on your head ;)

I plan to do spares on Wednesday with Arthurs rub and their original sauce. I go to Gates & Sons for Ribs...and I go to Arthurs for beef sandwhiches. Whoa is me here in Kansas City with all this Q. I'm lucky to be the weight I am now.

Jason
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    Is there anywhere in the nakedwhiz or another site that breaks down bbq and sauces?

Like KC is vinegar and pepper
    North Carolina is...
    Texas is...

I don't even know what kind of recipe to look for because I don't know what state's q I like.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Gates and Sons? Is this Jason Whitlock? :woohoo: You going to Springfield this Sat. and if no why? Going to be a good time.

Mike
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I don't think so but, KC is not vinegar based, it is sugar based and most sauces are very sweet. IE, KC Masterpiece was one of the first.

Mike
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Google is your friend

North Carolina:

Eastern: Whole Hog with Vinegar Based Sauce
    Western: Butts and Shoulders and Tomato Based Sauce.

South Carolina is where you will find the Mustard based Sauce.

KC is the traditional Tomato Based sauce.
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    hahahah...not hardly Whitlock here. I said that I was NOT a big guy..and Whitlock is most def BIG.

Arthurs is not the typical KC style Q....but....it is undoubtedly and objectively the BEST :side:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Well Whitlock says he is fit and trimmed. :woohoo: :woohoo: He stalked the Watson girl for years. :woohoo: :woohoo: I like Jack Stack, but isn't wonderful to have so many choices?
    Keep egging and post some good pics. Some of us get together every know and then and cook at our house if you are interested.

Mike
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    I always thought that the Watson girl had a "thing" for her stepfather :ohmy: I feel like I've watched her grow up...if ya know what I mean. You a KC guy?...What part? Ya...I'd love to see some real egg cookers. I've been a real Weber cooker for a longtime....I feel like I need to learn from some real eggers. Jason
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Do you ever have that right. Know exactly what you mean. :ohmy: My ex wife was convinced they were married for years.
    I'm in Peculiar. Cook 4-5 nights a week. I'm out of town every weekend until the 4th weekend of October for cooking. If you like to watch the Chiefs suffer, we can tailgate at my house and maybe we can help your learning curve.
    Where you at?
    Mike
  • Kitarkus
    Options
    Ah yes...I know Peculiar. My work has brought me your way more than a few times...but I'm clear out in Prairie Village...quite a trek. I gave up on the Chiefs a long time ago...I seldom suffer through games anymore....I'd rather be cooking. I s'pose you are going to Springfield? I'd really like to make it ...but have a concert in Lawrence on Friday night...and my liver says NOOOOOO to that. I even thought about buying an EggFest egg....but sounds like too much trouble. I'm gonna play with my Medium that I picked up for $250 in St. Louis..and see what all this egg fussin' is about. My pizza peel....and stone...and nest arrive on Wednesday....I'm excited.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I do have some Arthur Bryants original that Im not to fond of just by tasting but Im gonna give it a try on some ribs the next time. I just thought the rich and spicy would be more of a close match to the Famous Daves Rich and Sassy. I will let you know when I do the original. What can I expect out of the Blues Hog? Got some coming this week. Thanks
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Nice looking cook. I too enjoy the varieties of Famous Dave's sauces. I also really like his rib rub too.

My kitchen has Famous Dave's, Cowtown, Blue's Hog, and Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauces. I also enjoy Famous Dave's Texas Pit on ribs.
  • sirlancealot
    Options
    those ribs look good,no burnt edges and looks very clean.good job.