Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best wood for pulled pork?

Options
TBQue
TBQue Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I use a combo of pecan and apple my ribs and the few butts i have done. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Pecan, Hickory, Apple or Cherry.. I mostly use Pecan, but then again I am in the south..
  • TBQue
    Options
    Do you use an injection marinade?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I subscribe to a different philosophy when it comes to injection.

When I do whole hogs they get injected when I flip them skin down. This is usually half-way through the cook and while the meat is in the plateau. I usually inject with a strained version of the Eastern NC BBQ sauce I serve with the pork.

I carry this over to pork butts when I decide to inject (not often).

During the plateau the juices in the meat are moving and theoretically will drag the marinade with it. Prior to the plateau I just think it boils out. Others may disagree with me, but I have had better results injecting during the cook them I have before.

I suggest that you try it without, with and during. Make up your own mind.
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I like the bite of hicory and also throw in some pecan. 50-50.

Walt
  • TBQue
    Options
    I am porbably not going to use the injection method. I just wanted see if I am missing out on anything. I have done a few searches and I get mixed reviews. I am sure the meat will be great without it.

How much wood do you put in you egg at the start and do you add wood during your cooks?
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Pecan and peach is the bomb for me. Thought I would miss the hickory when I first tried it, but I really don't. Though I might try peach and hickory next time.... It's all good :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    I usually put in one or two chunks (3" each) when I light the egg. I make sure they are part of the initial lighting and let the smoke clear.

Once I start cooking I don't open the lid till the meat is done.

If you fill the firebox completely with lump you don;'t need to add more.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    i primarily use apple and some cherry.
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I like mesquite or pecan. But I like mesquite on everything.
    I don't inject but like to spray condensed apple juice on about every couple of hours to keep the bark from getting too dry.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Even Ice Cream???
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Haven't tried it but it doesn't sound that good. Thinks I will stick with pecans.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Thought you might :laugh:
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Guava wood is my choice.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i use hickory and sometimes augment with oak, guava, cherry, etc.

when i got here about 5 or 6 years ago, i got the vibe that hickory was THE smoking wood. sometimes oak too. hickory is sweeter though (i think).

i'd love pecan, but we don't get it up here (without buying it).

what hardwood or fruitwood is available where you are? one of the cool things about barbecue is that it regionally influenced. whatever you have oin hand is a good thing to start with.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    same here, if im injecting its half way thru the cook and i use a vinegar based sauce as well. no mess in the kitchen and it adds a different flavor than an injected marinated overnight butt.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i use cherry as a base, then add a little bit of a different wood. sometimes its hickory, pecan, guava, or even mesquite. lately ive been using 2/3 cherry with 1/3 mesquite with pulled pork and im finding i like the mesquite in small quantities, never liked mesquite before but seem to be building a taste for it over the years.
    fukahwee maine

• TBQue
    Options
    I live in Tampa, FL so I have access to a lot of cvariety since we have a BGE store here. I can regularly get pecan, apple, alder, mesquite, hickory, cherry, maple, and a few others. I have never heard of using Guava wood. I am intrigued by that. I almost always use 50/50 apple/pecan. i am just trying to get an idea of some other flavors. I don't really care for the flavor of mesquite or hickory though.
  • TBQue
    Options
    I live in Tampa, FL so I have access to a lot of cvariety since we have a BGE store here. I can regularly get pecan, apple, alder, mesquite, hickory, cherry, maple, and a few others. I have never heard of using Guava wood. I am intrigued by that. I almost always use 50/50 apple/pecan. i am just trying to get an idea of some other flavors. I don't really care for the flavor of mesquite or hickory though.
  • stike
    Options
    here's where i get kicked off the forum...

i actually use hickory bark alone. not even hickory wood. it's shagbark hickory, actually. not kidding, it has the sweetest smelling smoke of anything i have tried.

honestly don't know what hickory wood smoke smells like.

admonitions against using bark are (i think) another myth. sounds logical, but in reality, not a real concern unless the bark is loose, punky, or riddle with insects).
  • fishlessman
    Options
    guava wood is very mild, you will probably like it alot.
    http://www.hawaiiguava.com/
    guava greg is an egger and will treat you right and he really packs the box full. one thing ive noticed is that your tollerance for different woods changes the longer you eat smoked foods so everyonce in a while you want to try those woods you didnt like before.
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    Options
    i'll second that. the box is JAMMED full, and i swear i got it in two days from hawaii. and it was really cheap (especially with shipping).

i still have half a box or more a cuple years later. stuff smells GREAT.

used it on the mango/cilantro red snapper. real good.
  • DatilpepperBBQ
    Options
    I smoked 2 a few weeks ago, used 20% hickory and 80% sugar maple. It was fantastic!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I use the Hickory flavored Kingsford Briquettes mixed in with my lump, in a 4:1 ratio by hand, and weighed for accuracy on my Toledo triple beam scale, calibrated to 1/100th of an ounce.

JK :laugh: