Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 60 people, little nervous!

Options
TBQue
TBQue Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done several searches on cooking butts and I know there is a ton of info on the subject. I have seen anywhere from 1 hour per pound wrapping in foil 1/2 way through to 3 hrs per pound. I am doing 2 boneless butts one 6.7 lbs and the other 7 lbs this weekend. I have tried two different butts at 250 indirect for an hour a pound unwrapped (foil) and they did not pull so well. I got the method from my local BGE store. I guess my questions are how long per pound and should the butts be wrapped a some point in foil? I am thinking I need to go longer per pound. Should the butt sit directly in a pan indirect or on a grill over a drip pan indirect? And lastly, should you inject the butt or not? I have done several seachers and have found a million different ways.

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    It's not about time it's about temperature...temp is just a guideline to estimate eating time...cook your butts indirect at 225-250 until 195-205 internal..they will pull easily then..no foil until you remove from the egg..then wrap in foil and a towel and place in a cooler for a minimum of 1 hour, this lets the juices spread thruout and the flavor with it...I prefer indirect on grill over a drip pan...
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I agree with Eggtucky. Mine never sees foil until they hit 200 and I pull them off. Nothing like em.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Your pork was not done if it did not pull well

As Eggtucky stated it's about temp. The 1-2 hours per pound is a guideline to get you to 195 internal.

Sit them on the grate with the drip pan sitting on the plate setter or whatever barrier you are using.

Keep the dome at 250. Having a temp measuring device plugged into the meat will help you keep the lid shut till it's done.

Just remember - It's ain't done till it's done and if you are lookin' you ain't cookin'
  • Aledo Green Dreggon
    Options
    And keeping your fire lit is really important too.... :blush:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    1.5 to 2 hours per lb is more like it, but go by temp. -RP
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    1 to 1.5 hours per pound is good for Sliced pork, but your right 1.5-2 hours is a better guessimate for pulled.
  • TBQue
    TBQue Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks. I have only been going for an hour a pound. I don't think I have been going long enough.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    I average about 2 hours/lb. , but temp is the key, time isn't what BBQ is about. Cook it to 200 internal at 250-300 dome, save the foil for the 2 hour rest after it's done, and you will be rewarded for your patience. Sometimes I slow it down to 225 Dome temp., just so I can smell that wonderful smell that comes out of the top longer :P